brangus bull (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

bsr

Reaction score
tell me what you think of this bull
PICT0935.JPG

Sorry I don,t care for him much. I don't like his top line. He looks short hooks to pins, and his sheath is hanging with to much angle. Has no depth of body. Doesn't seem to be very thick.

the top line was the first thing i noticed. You are going to get alot of comments about that.

In giving an opinion of this bull, we have two topics of discussion. He can be phenotypically "described", and I can tell you what I think of him.

Observed Phenotypically: Here is a picture of a bull that appears out of balance with himself, as his fore half is not proportional to his rear half. He has an obvious weak topline, indicating that it is not supportive of his body skeletal structure. I recognize that he is Brangus, but nevertheless, from his fore elbow joint forward, he has proportionally too small a frame score compared to the rest of his body. He has the typical "sloping rump' of the bos indicus, but lacks thickness and width, and is short from his hooks to his pins. He appears 'post-legged' and stands 'too close' at his hocks, although he does NOT appear to be cow-hocked or sickle-hocked. He appears slab-sided and has a restricted heart girth, which would minimize the body capacity of any of his heifers retained for breeding purposes. He has a sheath which hangs too low for grazing on rough forage and/or rocky ground, or high awn-producing grasses. This is also typical of bos indicus or Brangus cattle. The 'angle' of the picture is not complimentary to the bull, and a more straight-on camera shot might improve his photographic appearance. In my opinion, his calves would be 'poor-doer's' and slow maturing in a feed lot scenario. He lacks masculinity, which would reflect in his heifer calves as difficult breeders.

Insofar as to what I think of the bull in THIS picture - because of his phenotypical appearance, I think he would develop sheath problems, and would probably become stifled in a couple of years, thereby minimizing his potential breeding abilities, assuming that one would want to use him as a herd bull.

I would NOT use him as a breeding bull for my herd. There are more desirable Brangus bulls available rather than to use this one for seedstock - Maternal OR Terminal.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts