Brangus bull on Hereford cows

Help Support CattleToday:

machslammer

Reaction score
He's on a set of mostly angus cows now but thinking about switching and buying a set a Hereford cows.. results? Anyone producing that now that can post pictures of what calves look like? With the red Gene will you have some red calves.. ect? What's anyone experience with it? Thanks in advance

He's on a set of mostly angus cows now but thinking about switching and buying a set a Hereford cows.. results? Anyone producing that now that can post pictures of what calves look like? With the red Gene will you have some red calves.. ect? What's anyone experience with it? Thanks in advance
This is just my two cents and it's worth what ya paid for it, but anytime you toss red into the mix, even as a recessive gene, you will run a chance of throwing a few reds *but* if he's a real strong performer then 75% or better of your calves will probably be black in the places where it counts. I've had really good bulls throw blacks on everything from the usual contenders (angus and brangus) to brahma-jersey crosses and red simm crosses and even some char crosses. When it comes to genetics, we really cared most about docility, mothering, calving ease and fertility on the mothers and let a real champ of a bull take care of that hide.

This years calf crop ear set.. shouldn't cost me too much. These are 5-6 months old calves. Just didn't know on Herefords if the ear or leather would increase much. First picture is him. 2 yr oldView attachment 14529View attachment 14528View attachment 14525View attachment 14526View attachment 14527
Your Brangus bull on Hereford cows will look like the one in pic 4. I would not replace my Angus cows with red Herefords, though. The black baldy calves you'd get would bring as much as the solid blacks you'd get with your angus cows...or close to it... but the eye, foot and udder problems with Herefords just aren't worth the trouble. If you wanted black baldies with a little ear, I would do it the other way.....Hereford bull on Brangus cows.

Latest posts