Brangus bred to Limo

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, here we go. Another chance for someone to yell "breed bashing". This is just my opinion based on MY knowledge. First of all, 600# sounds too small. A heifer should be 65% of her predicted mature weight. If Brangus cows only get to about 925# at mature size, then they are the right size. Second, I would have to guess that the Limo bull will have a mature size closer to 2000#. 3rd: Limo's are not know for easy calving and USUALLY are not recommended for heifers - of any breed. 4th: It strickly depends on the individual bull and individual females. BUT, putting a large framed breed bull on such a potential small cow/heifer is asking for trouble. My opinion, Jeanne
> Would it be ok to breed Brangus
> heifers 600 pounds or so to a
> great black limosin, our will I
> have trouble calving

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

I have to disagree with you about Limo's not suitable for heifers! We raise purebred limos and also have about a 200 herd of commercial cattle that we breed back limo. We bought 30 black angus heifers, 4 herford heifers, and 8 simmental/charlois heifers last year and bred them all limo. Come spring, we never pulled one calf. They were all calving easy, had no trouble at all. You just gotta look at the EPDs of the bull before breeding them to the Brangus heifer. It he has a high birth weight, no I would not recommend breeding the heifer to him, but if he is calving ease, go for it.

i WOULDN'T USE A LIMI BULL, YOU WILL BE DEFEATING THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF HAVING GOOD BRANGUS COWS. THERE ARE MUCH BETTER ALTERNATIVE IF YOU WANT TO INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF MUSCLE IN YOUR CALVES. YOU COULD USE GELBVIEH WHICH ARE VERY SIMILAR TO LIMOUSIN IN TERMS OF MUSCLE AND YEILD BUT THEY ARE BY FAR BETTER MOTHERS AND MUCH EASIER KEEPING IF YOU PLAN TO KEEP BACK ANY HEIFERS. THE SAME COULD BE SAID ABOUT SIMMENTAL OR BRAUNVIEH, WHICH WOULD BE EVEN BETTER.

Breeding a 600lb heifer.......? I qould think you should WEAN a 600 lb. heifer. Bad choice to put a Lim bull on her......consider Angus, Gelbv, or back to another Brangus.

> Well, here we go. Another chance
> for someone to yell "breed
> bashing". This is just my
> opinion based on MY knowledge.
> First of all, 600# sounds too
> small. A heifer should be 65% of
> her predicted mature weight. If
> Brangus cows only get to about
> 925# at mature size, then they are
> the right size. Second, I would
> have to guess that the Limo bull
> will have a mature size closer to