Brangus/baldie heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
I bought some calves at the stockbarn for my father this past weekend, ended up getting a smaller heifer that I thought I got a good deal on. After getting her home and a closer look she appears to have some ear and I'm wondering which breed. When I saw her in the ring I thought she was your normal black baldie, I'm now thinking she was a brangus cross or something. I'll try to get a picture of her. I've just never seen a baldie with as much ear as she has, plus both her eyes are black.

This isn't her, but her head and eyes look alot like this.

Bigfoot":r8og3b6a said:
I think a super baldie is one of the best mama cows you can have.

I haven't had but a few over a lifetime and I agree they were some of the best I've owned
Isom posted a few of his awhile back that were nice

Calhoun Farm":1c0qktt4 said:
I bought some calves at the stockbarn for my father this past weekend, ended up getting a smaller heifer that I thought I got a good deal on. After getting her home and a closer look she appears to have some ear and I'm wondering which breed. When I saw her in the ring I thought she was your normal black baldie, I'm now thinking she was a brangus cross or something. I'll try to get a picture of her. I've just never seen a baldie with as much ear as she has, plus both her eyes are black.

This isn't her, but her head and eyes look alot like this.

Very common here and in demand only second to the F-1 Tiger.
Got one just like her standing in the pasture.

Dogs and Cows":pxh6yit2 said:
OK question here...when you say best or great momma cows what do you exactly mean? Are you speaking of milk production? Raising the calf? All of the above? LOL!!

Thanks,

Tim
In general there very good cows. there's exceptions in every breed, but a super baldie is sure enough a fine calf raiser.

Wouldn't want to guess what you have..I've got a motley Crew of Brahman cross's,,I'd call her a bra'x and be done with it she could have a train wreak in background..bad udder ,teats so on.or she could turn out to be the best thing on the place....

The first picture is what you call a super baldie, black white face with goggle eyes with ear. Normally produced from Brangus sired calves out of TigerStripe/Braford cows..F1Brahman/Hereford. These replacement heifers will top the market in the south. Wouldn't go much farther north than say Kentucky. The calf you purchased looks entirely diffrent and different breeding.
bellboer

I thought she had brangus because of how much ear she has, and kind of a flat forehead. I got her cheap and she's my dads so I don't really care what she is lol. I was just asking for thoughts/guesses.

Calhoun Farm":2mqcv9wm said:
I don't see much if any brahma influence in her at all. She has a Hereford looking face & poll but no white elsewhere.
If part beefmaster I wouldn't think more than 1/4.

It may be hard to see but the top of her head is flat, where as an angus has a crest to it. Her ears set lower on her head and are bigger than angus also. She has a loose neck (skin flap) and her hide is thicker too. I noticed that when I wormed her.