Brangus & Angus question

Help Support CattleToday:

ElginRinger

Reaction score
Hopefully, in the near future, I'm going to go in a different direction with my herd. I currently have a predominantly Hereford cow base, with a little beefmaster blood in them. They are being bred to a black angus bull. What I would like to do is to either buy polled hereford cows topped with Black Brangus bull or vice versa. I would retain the F1's produced by this cross until I got my herd to the numbers I want and then hopefully sell some females. My question is what the F1's should be bred to. I see a lot of people advertising bred baldies exposed to angus bulls. Is this done simply because of the low birth weights or is that a calf that will ring the bell at the sale? As always, thanks for your replies.

As a terminal cross charolais will be hard to beat.

Angus would probably be the safe option.

KNERSIE":s5yom53t said:
As a terminal cross charolais will be hard to beat.

Angus would probably be the safe option.

Yeah, it's just the only experiences I've had with them were bad, neighbors bull jumped fence, lost a cow, and a cow/calf. Having said that though I've also heard of a lot of people using the Char's in that situation. I'm assuming there are places you can find lower birth weight bulls now days. What color would those calves be black baldies + char's ?

ElginRinger":2dtgf1jt said:
What color would those calves be black baldies + char's ?

Some would be gray, some would be yellow, theoretically about 50/50. Most would be white-faced or brockle faced. Some might be solid colored.

I'd personnaly recommend a fullblood Limousin bull. You can find low birth weoght bulls easily enough and you'll put a lot of muscle on your calves. Check out the ad for DHAN Second to None in the Cattle Today classifieds.

MikeBrownWV":1d3gmq4b said:
I would like to Know How to Register an Angus Bull.Is It anything like Registering a dog? and How do I get a Form to Register him?

Were his parents registered Angus? Did you breed him or buy him? If you bought him, talk to that breeder. You must be a member of the American Angus Association to register an animal with them. You can register animals online at the http://www.angus.org site. Set up an account (free), then fill out the info to register an animal. Both parents must be registered Angus and you must own them or have permission from the owners.

Red Bull Breeder":2bj1d8lw said:
I'd personnaly recommend a fullblood Limousin bull. You can find low birth weoght bulls easily enough and you'll put a lot of muscle on your calves. Check out the ad for DHAN Second to None in the Cattle Today classifieds.

Not trying to poke anyone in the eye, but for $30 a straw their are a lot of Limi bulls out there, with much better epd's and numbers to back it up. This bull in less in epds than the current breed average in most every catagory. I agree that a Limi bull would make a great terminal cross

Houstoncutter If you look a little farther into the add you can get semen from ranch for 18.00. If you are interested in some fullblood semen for commerical cow use, let me know, I can fix you up.

Red Bull Breeder":3qenz06g said:
Houstoncutter If you look a little farther into the add you can get semen from ranch for 18.00. If you are interested in some fullblood semen for commerical cow use, let me know, I can fix you up.

Thanks for the invite, but several years back I bought a bull from Kemi Limousin, website is kemilimousin.com. The bull was NPM1526748 Shag Man 548J. It was the best buy I have ever made. The bull was used on 100 heifers in a 3 year period.. No pulls and no calf over 65 pounds. The lightest was 45 lbs. Average was 55 lbs. These calfs came small, but at weaning they had caught up too my calfs out of quality fullbloods. I think Michelle still is selling semen off this bull. I know I had him collected for future use, and I dont know nuthin about A.I. , but I do know a hella of a bull when I see one in action. I have nothing against fullbloods I use 3 of em at present, but most all fullbloods have too high of b.w. epds amd c.e.m. epds to be using on heifers. Personnaly in a situation as this ,were he is planning on selling replacement heifers, I would use a Brangus bull with a lite b.w. epd. Half blood Limmis cows dont sell well in Texas unless they have some ear in em