Brandy

Help Support CattleToday:

But some serious thunder & lightning! Headed out shortly to check for damage. Grrrr pretty much sums it up.
Lots of wind, but all the cows are where they are supposed to be!
I truly wish I could share! Man, this stuff is like wet cement, very hard to shovel from the doorways and hard to walk over the drifts. We have some 5 and 6 foot drifts out on the leeward side of our trees... be a while before those melt.
My goodness.
That isn't normal this time of year is it?
I'm running round in shorts n flops!

Ope! Almost forgot. Gotta add a pic of coarse.
I've been alternating days with Bessie for the 2 extra calves. Bessie has her 2. Brandy has 3. They both feed the 2 extras! One night in the pen every other day. 🤣
20220423_194317.jpg
Brown cow just HAS to help with the square bales...
20220424_184837.jpg
And Lil 'Nuf is getting fresh with the lil bottle bull.
20220424_184901.jpg
What?? Me? Never!!!
20220424_185127.jpg

Last edited:
That little squirt is SO cute! I just love her attitude. :)

And yeah, spring snowstorms are pretty common. April is a 50/50 month here. We can get bad blizzards (the kind that knock the big power transmitter lines down), or just little bits of snow, or maybe just rain. Luckily this one didn't knock our power out, but there were plenty of vehicles off the road in ditches according to a Sheriff deputy friend of mine, who spent most of yesterday helping to pull them out.

We'll be having shorts weather soon, but you'll never catch me wearing flip flops. I've been stepped on (once) by a yearling heifer and broke three toes, and I WAS WEARING BOOTS. So, yeah, full shoes, preferably boots, only around here, LOL! We also have random prickly-pear cactus growing in amongst the grass, and also chickens. It would be suicide to wear flip flops, LOL!

Hehe.
They're cute cuddle calves,,,MM you can get a toy-maker to make that line of stuff animals.
We were talking about the embryo brahmas in the other thread being raised by angus mamas.
And here I am with a jersey cow, raising baldy calves and a black one. 😆

Hehe.

We were talking about the embryo brahmas in the other thread being raised by angus mamas.
And here I am with a jersey cow, raising baldy calves and a black one. 😆
No weirder than a field of black cows with a big ole' black and white holstein calf on one.... We have one now... gotta smile... but most of the cows are colorblind when they want a baby and are grateful when you give them one they think is theirs...

Been a while since I've put up a pic or two here. Hard for me to tell, but I THINK she's put on a Little condition. The grass has helped I'm sure. She's certainly slicked off that winter fur and I like her color (so golden!) much better. Ribs are almost covered up. Can't shake those jersey hips tho! And I strongly dislike the way her spine shows. Makes me happy seeing her tummy/rumen full. I see her in the loose mineral, tho not as much as I'd like to see her. Fact is, they have ALL slacked off on the mineral. Perhaps that's a good thing. Means they are getting enough most likely.
We've gotten quite hot here lately. 100's most days. They have plenty of shade trees to go chew cud all day (even if they are cedars). Been grazing early morning. Late evening.
Cows ain't stupid!
20220619_102253.jpg
Calves are coming right along. L'nuf is still behind. One of the newer born calves is near as big as her already!! Hard to overcome that tiny tiny twin birth weight! But she's healthy and happy and growing. I'll take it!
20220619_102427.jpg
20220619_102450.jpg
20220619_102457.jpg

Well guys...
Brandy is having a small issue. She's been having a difficult time getting on her feet from laying down.
I don't know if it's heat related or something else. Grass is getting pretty dry. 100's most days now. But they all have plenty of shady spots.

She does finally get up. But it's like she can't get her rear legs to muster up enough strength to lift herself. Like her rear legs are weak maybe??

Any ideas guys n gals?

Are you using any weed spray? If you cannot determine the problem you might, if possible, isolate her and control feed her
to determine if she has ingested something. My guess is too much or too little of ?

Are you using any weed spray? If you cannot determine the problem you might, if possible, isolate her and control feed her
to determine if she has ingested something. My guess is too much or too little of ?
Very good.
I have used a bit of spray on thistle here and there. Been a month or 2 tho. Spot spraying.

I wouldn't think milk fever this far in the lactation huh?

Has she been with a bull lately? Pinched nerve? Stifled? I've never dealt with milk fever but I'd say it's worth a call to your vet.
O yeah. Big Sexy got here 1st of June.
And he does weigh twice what she does.

Ugh....
That thought had entered my mind too. But you would think after a few days she would've been OK if it was a breeding thing. Vet is gone til Tuesday.

I may catch her and pen her up and watch. It's so dang hot tho!

Latest posts