Brandy

Help Support CattleToday:

I have the same problem playing on the internet while lying on the bed. I find that wasting time while in a standing position causes no problem. Otherwise I'm like a down cow.

It is a good thing to sell off old or chronic livestock. As my husband says Its either us or the buzzards. Down cows killed by buzzards is a slow horrible death.

My old pet Jersey Daphne three calves ago she had a huge bull calf at night. When we found her she could not get up. The calf was trying to nurse off her huge udder getting nothing because of udder edema. From the size of the calf we thought it was a birth injury. I colostrumed and bottled the calf. We turned Daphne every 4 to 6 hours around the clock and propped her up with hay bales. Even going out in the middle of the night and turning her by pulling on her legs using a rope and the tractor. We had to rotate her too because she usually ended up in a head downhill position. After 3 days of this I heard from my retired dairy farmer friend in Oregon. He said Have you thought of milk fever? A while after the second tube and numerous prayers I looked out . She was up and the big calf nursing away.

Calfus Colosus (2).JPG

and pay for Brandy? If yes, that's impressive
Ok. It's been a while.
Brandy more than paid for herself and the calves I purchased. I have ZERO dollars in the nice lil black baldy heifer.
We must not forget! She also helped keep 3 other calves fed (along with Bessie, they split duties remember?) until I sold em for a profit.
The KEY was buying them right. The cow as well as the calves. A nurse cow is a very valuable asset when turning over bottle calves for money.

I'd have much prefered to keep Brandy around as she was like a duck to water with ANY baby that was hungry. She will be greatly missed....

I like her! Not sure about keeping heifers, though, if you don't know what kind of calves that new Angus bull will throw.
Agreed. He will definitely not be breeding my heifers.
Neighbor seems ok with his.

Big Sexy actually throws a pretty calving ease calf. I'm gonna pit him with my big heifer out of Brown Cow. The one with the hat. Her calf is By Ricky. If I can ever make up my mind to keep em or not.

The other heifers won't be ready for quite some time

Brandys story is almost done. I was really wanting to keep this lil heifer especially as I have zero dollars in her. And she would always remind me of Brandy.
This is the one @TCRanch liked.
But the milk stealing wench has got to go!!20230219_124026.jpg20230219_123953.jpg
Screenshot_20230219-123519_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230219-123624_Samsung Internet.jpg
she will be 600lbs easy enough I think. Market is up. I'll finish up later with what she brings. 😔

Sad, but she definitely has to go. Little thief!!! You should do well with her at the sale, if that's any consolation.
I think she will do good. She's a pretty nice calf really I think!
Funny, now that I've got her caught and penned, I keep thinking MAYBE I'll just hang on to her a while!
Nothing in the pen for her to suck on! If I can hold her til I pull my bull from the other place I can just take her over there. None of them gals will allow her to nurse. They'll kick the snot out of her!
🤣

Idk. I just don't know if she will ever change her ways...

I think she will do good. She's a pretty nice calf really I think!
Funny, now that I've got her caught and penned, I keep thinking MAYBE I'll just hang on to her a while!
Nothing in the pen for her to suck on! If I can hold her til I pull my bull from the other place I can just take her over there. None of them gals will allow her to nurse. They'll kick the snot out of her!
🤣

Idk. I just don't know if she will ever change her ways...
We have a coming three year old sucked everything until we put a copper bull ring in her nose. Ended the problem.

We have used crown weaning rings for one like that that steal after weaning that we think it's worth keeping. They have worked well for us. We rarely have to use one but when we do we leave it in for a long time. Then just use bolt cutters to get it out later once we're sure the habit has stopped.

This is why I've always avoided buying calves through a sale barn.
I get your point.
But.....
She did pretty good for being a free calf!

She did eat a bit of feed and grass after I weaned her tho. Mainly grass

I sure thought she was bigger! I'm not as good a guesser sometimes!

Latest posts