Brandy

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
I did it!
Shes a bit thin. Weighs 860. Calved in February. 5 yr old.
Price was definitely right. And I've got 3 babies for her already!
Of course Lil 'Nuf was first to the buffet.
20220402_120646.jpg
She knows what to do! (Being on Bessie for a bit) very aggressive nurser!
Made a PIG of herself
20220402_135928.jpg
Then along came Red
Have not seen her nurse yet, but I'll get everyone on schedule.
20220402_120824.jpg
Got a tag on Red.
I'll get the bwf out of the trailer tonight too and see how that goes.
I've a mind to bottle her and make a cow out of her!
20220401_184737.jpg
And the money!
20220402_143846.jpg20220402_143817.jpg
Welcome home Brandy!
20220402_150606.jpg

Last edited:
I did it!
Shes a bit thin. Weighs 860. Calved in February. 5 yr old.
Price was definitely right. And I've got 3 babies for her already!
Of course Lil 'Nuf was first to the buffet.
View attachment 15107
She knows what to do! (Being on Bessie for a bit) very aggressive nurser!
Made a PIG of herself
View attachment 15108
Then along came Red
Have not seen her nurse yet, but I'll get everyone on schedule.
View attachment 15109
Got a tag on Red.
I'll get the bwf out of the trailer tonight too and see how that goes.
I've a mind to bottle her and make a cow out of her!
View attachment 15110
And the money!
View attachment 15111View attachment 15112
Welcome home Brandy!
View attachment 15113
I'll say it again, I love what you do. You genuinely love cattle. They'll be here for a thousand years after the factory ranches shut down because of people like you.

Some of those dairy cattle put their energy into milk production before they put it into their bodies...there are a whole lot of dairy cows that produce lots of milk with that kind of condition, it's what they're bred for...probably why almost all of them are kept in sheds and fed whatever they want whenever they want it

Some of those dairy cattle put their energy into milk production before they put it into their bodies...there are a whole lot of dairy cows that produce lots of milk with that kind of condition, it's what they're bred for...probably why almost all of them are kept in sheds and fed whatever they want whenever they want it
Won't go into great detail, but the rest of the herd this gal came from were all amazing looking. Out grazing wheat..
Story is, they give about 200lbs milk?? Idk what that means exactly. And I may have misunderstood because we talked a LOT.. But was told they ain't grandpa's jerseys! 😄

This gals production is down a bit. But was told she is still making 5 gallon

Won't go into great detail, but the rest of the herd this gal came from were all amazing looking. Out grazing wheat..
Story is, they give about 200lbs milk?? Idk what that means exactly. And I may have misunderstood because we talked a LOT.. But was told they ain't grandpa's jerseys! 😄

8.8lbs per gallon...and for a Jersey 53 lbs is a lot...

A cow that gives 200 lbs. is rare - there probably aren't any in Oklahoma. They sure as heck wouldn't be a Jersey or a grazer.

Thanks @Buck Randall and @Peace

Like I said I may have misunderstood. But that number stands out it my head. We talked a lot about oklahoma history and stuff. Mennonite farming. Jersey cows. Milk.. etc etc. These cows have been in that family for generations. Closed herd and bred for production I reckon. Beatiful animals to boot!! Nice to know they havnt ALL went away!!

Twice a day milking I think. Definitely on feed as well. They feed in the neat lil milking barn. It was pretty dang kool seeing one in person. The feed is piped in from idk where, but each stanchion has its own individual feeder and supply line for feed. Not a huge barn. Maybe like 12 cows at a time? I didn't count. The feed comes out of Kansas. I was sure to ask what he fed. He gave me a bit to transition her over to what I'm feeding. Or what I have anyway.
20220403_074020.jpg
For what I'm doing she probly don't need fed for max production. But I'd like to get some condition on her. Might be hard with 3 calves tho. I'm almost positive she could feed 4!

I caught red nursing! Guess I'll take that halter off now.
20220403_073432.jpg

🤣🤣🤣
He did say they weren't your grandpa's jerseys.... idk.
Sure is a nice place they got. Most had what I'd consider a holstein type bag. Bessies bag is nowhere near comparable. And Mabel is dry. She will be bred soon. But it'll still be 285 days at least! So I ain't got anything here to compare to.
I was eye rolling at him making absolute statements like he knows everything.

I was eye rolling at him making absolute statements like he knows everything.
The fella I spoke with seemed like a very down to earth man. Didn't seem like a braggard or anything. Tho u could tell he was proud of his history and his animals. And he really seemed to enjoy his cattle and his business.

I don't know a lot about milk production but I know buck does, being from up north where dairy is plentiful.

Ones things for sure!
This one appears to be a Gem as well!

The fella I spoke with seemed like a very down to earth man. Didn't seem like a braggard or anything. Tho u could tell he was proud of his history and his animals. And he really seemed to enjoy his cattle and his business.

I don't know a lot about milk production but I know buck does, being from up north where dairy is plentiful.

Ones things for sure!
This one appears to be a Gem as well!
I have no doubt about anything you've said about the man or his stock and I have no great doubts about the other fella's knowledge, I just don't like it when folks speak in absolutes like they know everything when there's some stuff nobody knows everything about.

I have no doubt about anything you've said about the man or his stock and I have no great doubts about the other fella's knowledge, I just don't like it when folks speak in absolutes like they know everything when there's some stuff nobody knows everything about.
You might not use absolutes yourself, not knowing backgrounds of folks you're responding to. You're right, nobody knows everything, but some are experts in what they do know. No one has paid a dime for any opinions on here, but many opinions have saved others a ton of money😉

You might not use absolutes yourself, not knowing backgrounds of folks you're responding to. You're right, nobody knows everything, but some are experts in what they do know. No one has paid a dime for any opinions on here, but many opinions have saved others a ton of money😉
Whether I know somebody's background or not, I rarely use absolutes. Same for the things *I* am an expert at. You missed the point, it's not that I don't value the expertise of people, the planet's just too darn big and too much funky new stuff happens all the time.

Yeah I've been looking around a bit. Apparently that's a LOT LOT LOT of milk.
10 gallon per milking, twice a day is still less than 200lbs.
Gawd, can u imagine hand milking 10 gallons twice a day??? And then again on 20 or 30 more cows?!? That's why they have machines I reckon.
No thanks!

O! And idk if she's putting out 5 gallon once or twice a day. I'll let the calves handle that math for me for now!

Learning experience for me guys. Appreciate ya'll!

And where my friend @farmerjan
I bet she's been busy as heck now that them knees are fixed!

I'm really surprised she is standing so patiently for those calves. She has a nice udder...it's not picture perfect, but it's tucked up high enough that it should be a while before sagging is an issue, and it might not ever be an issue...nice cow...should be a real calf maker....

Got a crummy pic of all 3.
Lil 'Nuf has grown a bit. But sure is smaller than the other 2. I catch em all playing frequently but being bottle fed a bit, by the time I get in picture distance, the picture opportunity is gone! I LOVE watching Lil 'Nuf buck and run and play. She's a lil spitfire!
The 2 white face calves play push me, shove you a lot. That's fun too.
Brandy chases em around a bit mooing and licking em. Happy happy 😊
20220404_180438.jpg
Still working on Lil 'Nufs mudbutt
20220404_192023.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you hit the jackpot, so did the calves and so did she.
I love what Peace said, "almost all of them are kept in sheds and fed whatever they want whenever they want it". So glad she has a good home and lots of feed!!! That will make
her last longer for you!! Here's a hint: remember to give her loose mineral. 😊

Latest posts