brands

Help Support CattleToday:

starbaby":132vddqz said:
where would you go to register a brand and see if it is taken ?
In Texas at the county courthouse. They have a big brand registry book. I think you can " search" some online in bigger better funded county to avoid duplication.

As others said, the county clerk's office handles brand registration in Texas. There is a small fee, I don't remember how much but I don't think it's over about $20. They are up for renewal in every calendar year that ends in 1, so if you get a brand now it will be good until 2021, and will need to be renewed every ten years after that. If at any point you fail to renew it it's available for someone else to use.

And if you have cattle in more than one county you need to register your brand in each county. I heard of a situation where someone had cattle in a county where his brand wasn't registered, so his neighbor registered his brand, cut the fence to let the cows onto his place, and tried to claim them as his. The rightful owner eventually got them back, but it was a hassle I'm sure he would rather have done without.

You can go to this page of the Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association for links to more information on branding and other livestock laws: http://www.tscra.org/theft-law/livestock-laws.html#.U7_XmE0o4yd

If brands are handled at the county level in TX, are cattle required to be brand inspected before leaving the county?

Brands are handled at the state level in SD. Unfortunately only western SD is in the brand inspection area.

No brand inspection is required to transport cattle between counties within the brand inspection area.

All cattle transported out of state or into eastern SD must be inspected before leaving.

I see that the OP is from Texas so the county answer is correct. For others who may be reading this I believe Texas is the only state that registers by county. The rest do it by the state. Some states require a brand inspection to sell cattle others require a brand inspection to simply haul cattle from one point to another. There is a lot of differences in brand laws.

Here in Montana the brand is done by the Dept of Livestock. There is a brand book. Re-newal is every 10 years. If you do not renew your brand it is then up for someone else to get.

John SD":25da5pp4 said:
If brands are handled at the county level in TX, are cattle required to be brand inspected before leaving the county?

No, but there are brand inspectors at each auction barn.

Latest posts