Brands of feed

Help Support CattleToday:

txshowmom

Reaction score
What brand of feed are you guys feeding? EX: Purina, Lyssy & Eckle, Showmaster, Ful-O-Pep ect.

We buy our feed at Producers Co op in Bryan. If for some reason we run out and can't get to Producers, we use Purina. A commercial feed gets too pricy for as much as we feed. Right now we are feeding a ton every 2 weeks, that's just for the show string. :)

We feed all the grass and browse they can find along with hay in the winter. They also get minerals.

You can go broke feeding store bought feed.

Besides pasture- grass hay in a feeder available all the time, loose minerals, 14% livestock blend from local feed store, dry COB and oxy-gen.

Grass only, hay, loose mineral, plant elbon rye for winter pasture. Feeding a cow out of a sack is like a second mortgage on your home.
Hay is only in the winter if a cow cann't not stay fat and raise a healthy calf on grass only I have no use for her. On small operations to make money cost have to be controlled. I don't make a living off cattle but I do make money.

Free choice hay, mineral block.. 13% sweet feed from the local coop.. also get some feed from my dairy neighbor.. he will make up some feed by buying corn-crib corn.. and then get it ground up and mixed w/ some high protein soy meal.. salt, minerals.

I also cut old sweet corn down w/ a sickle mower.. and some green chopped grass/clover mixed.. a couple times a week.. but I'm only feeding 12 "fat & spoiled" Holstein steers.. I'm still working on fencing for grazing.

we are feeding 14% pelleted feed with yeast added to the weaned feeder cattle and the weaned replacement heifers. Everyone else survives on hay and pasture with free choice mineral.

I feed Tindle Superstock to the butcher steer, usually lightly feed 14% creep to growing heifers, and use breeder cubes lightly in winter along with hay. I do feed minimal amounts when calling them up to check on them, or penning them up-no hassle that way. My pastures are not very good, but I still try to make them do it the old-fashioned way for the most part.

I have a dumb question, but being in Ohio, I have NO idea what a range cube is. Can someone educate me?

certherfbeef":12oaqyri said:
Thanks Campground.

:oops: What do they look like? :oops: Are they actually cubes?

they're about 4-6 inches long & about as big around as a nickel.

We call them cubes but a few oldtimers call them 'cake'. We go and cube our cattle and they go and cake their cattle.

We feed a few cubes to call them up for instection, penning. Try to keep out minerals at all times and dump some protein in the feeders with the minerals. Weaned calves, replacement heifers, and cows in the 'sick pen' where there is no grazing available are the only animals that get really fed grain.

We bale our oun hay for winter feeding, but nothing special on top of that.

We feed our brahma crosses a mix feed the year round, bushes & briars, they mix it as they please. :p

The herd gets free choice salt / mineral / grass the year round. Hay in the winter, a few cubes when we're getting them up to work, worming, etc. or if the weather is very bad, freezing rain, etc.

Replacement heifers are started on creep at weaning ( in the fall ) and stay on it until the spring. After that, no more babying, theres only 2 can'ts on the farm, if you can't produce, you can't stay.

;-)

WE USED PURIENA SHOW CHOW BUT IT GOT TO EXPENCIVE (8.00 BUCKS A BAG. WE FOUND SOMEONE HERE LOCAL TO MIX ABOUT THE SAME FOR A WHOLE LOT LESS. 8)

Latest posts