Branding

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch":2trfigax said:
I wonder why older animals grow hair back but younger do not? Maybe the skin is thinner in the young, thus doing a better job of killing the hair follicle???
I think someone needs to do a study on that! :nod:

No study needed. It's a fact that a young calf's skin is finer/thinner and you do not have to hold the freeze iron on as long as for a mature animal.
Same for horses.

You can freeze brand light colored animals, you just leave the iron on longer to kill the hair follicle. This was one of our daughter's yearling Belgian Blue. His brand peeled and left a scab. He was shaved with a 40 blade when branded. The hair did not grown back over the branded area.

MVC-008F.JPG

MVC-009F.JPG

Chippie, how long do you leave it on to get complete hair loss? We have yet to get complete hair loss, and have gone as long as 70 seconds. It seems the brand gets warm before it will be on long enough to kill the follicle...

"As far as I know there is no way to register a brand in Ky. It may be, and I just don't know it."

The procedure for registering a livestock brand is as follows:
Select a brand design, draw the brand on the back of the application. More than one brand design may be submitted in case the first choice is not acceptable for registration. Complete the application and have it notarized. Mail the application and a $10.00 registration fee to our office. The registration fee should be check or money order and made payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer. The brand design will be reviewed and if acceptable, it will be registered for a period of five years. Each five-year period thereafter, the brand may be renewed for a fee of $5.00. At the time of registration or renewal, you will receive a Brand Certificate as proof of ownership of your registered brand.
A record of all brands registered in Kentucky is sent to each County Clerk, County Extension Agent, Sheriff's Office, and State police Post in Kentucky, as well as to compliance officers in surrounding states.
Application and fee should be mailed to the following address: Kentucky Department of Agriculture
Division of Animal Health 100 Fairoaks Lane, Suite 252 Frankfort, KY 40601
Please contact our office at 502/564-3956 should you have any questions regarding this material.

http://www.kyagr.com/statevet/documents ... ndbook.pdf

Horses - 60 seconds
Cattle - cattle 90 seconds to 2 minutes

We have irons from L&H and never had a problem with an iron getting too warm. We use liquid nitrogen to cool the irons.
We've used dry ice and alcohol once and it takes much longer than the liquid nitrogen to get the irons cold.
We also use a surgical blade (#40) when clipping. Spray the area with 90% alcohol. let sit. spray again and wipe off the excess immediately before applying the iron.

Here's the same brand on a horse.

dundee.JPG

MVC-001F.JPG

and my brand on a cow

sunny.JPG

and my brand scarred on a grey horse:

maid.JPG

I sure like your brand Chippie. How do you describe it. Rafter S Bar or Rafter Bar S.

chippie":3s3lqn0e said:
thank you 3waycross.

It is Rafter S Bar

My daughter's is the Rocking Penguin

I like the penguin but would be hard pressed to use it as a hot brand

Does anyone know if a brand can be registered in multiple states ?
Thanks

AFAIK in SD, a registered hot iron brand is the only permissable animal ID allowed by law. Freeze branding won't cut it. Brand renewals are due to the state brand board every 5 years.

I suppose a brand could be registered in multiple states, if the brand and location is not already spoken for in the other state(s) in question. Would have to have a seperate registration and renewal costs paid in each state.

Latest posts