Branding

Help Support CattleToday:

longhornlover3498

Reaction score
we didnt brand earlier because my grandfather wanted to wait for my cousins from geogia. turns out that they dont wanna help so we need to brand before the neighbors start stealing our cows again. but it has already snowed here and it's supposed to warm up but not sure. could the brand get infected in the cold or should we just hair brand? need an answer quickly and please do not smart-mouth.

I've never heard of a brand getting infected but then it rarely snows here so that could be something common in cold regions that I don't know about. I'd rather deal with the minor chance of infection and still have a calf than worry about them getting stolen.

I think the risk of infection would be low. I also think the smart mouths got kicked off. In forums as in life-------------A few must perish so the others can live.

Bigfoot":1qgfnm8w said:
I think the risk of infection would be low. I also think the smart mouths got kicked off. In forums as in life-------------A few must perish so the others can live.
so i guess we're branding then. and also there is still 1 smart mouth on here that i know of but i won't say who.

With hot brands they can sometimes "bubble" or blister abnormally if the calves are branded when they are wet, and sometimes because of it, the brands will "blotch" or "blur" a bit if done when wet. Try to do it when the animal is dry if possible for the best results.
Sounds like you need new neighbors or they need a few lessons on how to behave....
Nite Hawk

Nite Hawk":555hlxib said:
With hot brands they can sometimes "bubble" or blister abnormally if the calves are branded when they are wet, and sometimes because of it, the brands will "blotch" or "blur" a bit if done when wet. Try to do it when the animal is dry if possible for the best results.
Sounds like you need new neighbors or they need a few lessons on how to behave....
Nite Hawk
please correct me but it's not neighbors fault if the cattle keeps goes through the femce and entered into the neighbor's property.

Well I can only go by what Longhornlover says and that is that his neighbors are stealing his cows. If so they need a few lessons on how to behave. Around here if a few cows get into someones pasture the owner is notified, or the cows pushed back into the proper pasture. I am sure there is the odd person who get "bent out of shape" and that is totally understandable if one has a few heifers and they are bred by a neighbors "honking" big bull or purebred.
As it is open range around here, cattle get mixed up all over the place and go through and over all sorts of fences. Some of them end up literally 40-50 miles away.
If they are branded it is normally sorted out at fall roundup with a call to the owner or brand inspector..
Nite Hawk

I've branded cattle every month of the year- sometimes in mid winter- with no problems.. Just have to make sure the area you are putting the brand is dry- and sometimes best to clip the hair if its long....

And a hair brand does you no good to prevent theft as its not permanent....

Latest posts