branding

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
What size branding iron would you recommend? I am planning to build a brand and I would like to make one that would work on calves and cows as well. I was thinking about making it around 3" to 3 1/2" tall.

Also, any thoughts on your branding process are welcome, such as what age you brand your calves and such. And I forgot to mention, we will be fire branding versus electric or freeze.

TXBobcat":1bue5qel said:
What size branding iron would you recommend? I am planning to build a brand and I would like to make one that would work on calves and cows as well. I was thinking about making it around 3" to 3 1/2" tall.

Also, any thoughts on your branding process are welcome, such as what age you brand your calves and such. And I forgot to mention, we will be fire branding versus electric or freeze.

The standard around here is 3 to 3 1/2".

It depnds too on the lay out of the iron. Ours is to rows so it's only about 5 1/2 inches tall. If it was a single row 3- 3 1/2 would be about right. Brand position may also make a difference, also closed corners. You need to have it opene enough at the closed corners so it doesn't blotch. That might deterine what size is pratical.

dun

BLACKPOWER":zvh3s6hb said:
TXBobcat":zvh3s6hb said:

The standard around here is 3 to 3 1/2".

I always branded my calves at 5 -6 months old so they were big enough to handle the brand. The brand will grow with the calf. Never Never brand a wet hide. The excepted location is on the upper hip near the tailhead or on the lower thigh or front upper leg. Doesn't discount the hide and the animal at selling time. Make sure the iron is hot but not too hot. It should look like gray steel when it is hot enough. The brand will look like raw hide when properly applied. Good luck