Branding placement question

Help Support CattleToday:

showing71

Reaction score
We aren't located in the mandatory brand zone here, so I don't know a whole lot about it. In the meats and livestock eval. classes I have taken, the teachers really stressed the importance of placing brands that scar the hide in areas where packing plants can easily cut them out without causing too much loss of the hide (making more money off a good hide). Do you all who brand pay much attention to this? Do you take some hits at the sale barn/slaughterhouse for having brands in the rib or stomach region instead of the hip and shoulder area?

Here in the 3rd world a brand is location specific, if I register my brand it will be specified where it should be on the animal, in most cases the lower left leg. If I sell that animal the new owner brands the lower right leg with his brand. If that animal get sold again I have no idea where its supposed to be branded but I know there is a specified location.

The reason for branding as low down on the leg as possible is to limit the hide damage, although the price for hides had dropped dramatically about 4 years ago and hasn't improved much since.

When you register your brand a location is specified. For your brank to be a valid proof of ownership the brank has to be in that location. When we registered our brank years ago the choices were left shoulder, right shoulder, left rib, right rib, left hip or right hip. Who ever handles the brank reiogistration for your state will have the specifics.

i went to my county district clerks an reged my brand.an they tell you where to place the brand.my brand is reged to use on the right side.

In Alabama you can pay a extra fee to own your brand. The Law is I can place my brand anywhere I choose.
Tom.

i have renew my brand in 2011.an its good for 10yrs.i think it cost me $20 to reg an renew it.

Our brands are registered to be placed in a certain area, like right rib.
It doesn't matter what the packer likes it's what the state says.

we put our ranch brand on the back right hip and a number representing the year on the shoulder. never had any problems with any one about it...

Branding is compulsory for us. The first brand is placed in any of the 5? prescibed positions, near or offside the first one to brand a beast gets to choose.

crossbranding is done directly under the existing brand in the same position, or if there is no more room you go to the next positon numerically but on the same side.

Anyway its all spelled out in our state law.

Last time I had my brand registered they didn't say a word about its placement and I didn't tell them where I put it but I always place my brand on the left hip.

dun":rl6ybfl2 said:
When you register your brand a location is specified. For your brank to be a valid proof of ownership the brank has to be in that location. When we registered our brank years ago the choices were left shoulder, right shoulder, left rib, right rib, left hip or right hip. Who ever handles the brank reiogistration for your state will have the specifics.

Same here in Canada. We were given left rib when assigned a location . No matter if you dislike the are or not that is where it has to go unless other brands are already on as previously stated they you go as closes as possible to it.

The reason for branding as low down on the leg as possible is to limit the hide damage, although the price for hides had dropped dramatically about 4 years ago and hasn't improved much since.

Both slaughter houses I use raised their prices by about $25 an animal. They told me that hide prices have dropped dramatically here this past year due to the economy's impact on the auto industry which is a large buyer of leather.

I have been trying to freeze brand, though I am not very good at it, cuz' I'm impatient, but does it make a difference to packers whether they're freeze branded or hot branded? gs

plumber_greg":32r1nal1 said:
I have been trying to freeze brand, though I am not very good at it, cuz' I'm impatient, but does it make a difference to packers whether they're freeze branded or hot branded? gs

I tried freeze branding last year. It worked well on the commercial calves for sale; but the brand faded on the Cows and Bulls. Are you having that problem?

Bonsman":psq4x47u said:
plumber_greg":psq4x47u said:

I tried freeze branding last year. It worked well on the commercial calves for sale; but the brand faded on the Cows and Bulls. Are you having that problem?
Calving in the winter makes the brands hard to see. I'm having more trouble getting each number and letter to look the same. Its hard to hold the irons so the brand is even. gs

dcara":2fth3xnc said:

Both slaughter houses I use raised their prices by about $25 an animal. They told me that hide prices have dropped dramatically here this past year due to the economy's impact on the auto industry which is a large buyer of leather.
Doug the price for a unbranded hide was $66 a year ago todays price $34. Seems they still maybe losing money compared to last year.

plumber_greg":rpa7thqu said:
What I've been told is freeze brands don't harm the hide, just change the hair color.

Latest posts