Branding Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Well, I am a bit late with the pics. We branded last Monday. But here they are. We did 100 calves. Took 3 people to do it, in about 3 hours. Calves got vaccinated with an 8-way and a shot of ivomec and branded. Treated a few for scours. Then we vaccinated the cows and ivomeced them too.

Waiting their turn
tn_DSC07923.jpg

Bringing one down the chute
tn_DSC07928.jpg

In the chute, some of these guys fill that chute up pretty good....
tn_DSC07922.jpg

tn_DSC07924.jpg

tn_DSC07925.jpg

tn_DSC07927.jpg

Waiting for the vaccinations
tn_DSC07929.jpg

Mostly done
tn_DSC07931.jpg

The finished bunch
tn_DSC07932.jpg

More done than not...
tn_DSC07933.jpg

Love that countryside out behind you. Not a chance anybody could sneak up on you. You could see'em comin' for 10 miles. Course nobody ever shows up anyway when there's work to do unless you got plenty of "free beer". Love that little chute...is that shop made??

Ouch poor babies.. :(

I feel bad when I tattoo them ,can't imagine branding them..

Looks like a lot of work Randi, good job. :tiphat:

TB that is why they always apply that old saying to Saskatchewan.."you can see your dog run away and it takes 10 days.." :lol2: Northern Sask. is heavily forested though.

I'd like more info (Brand Name, Model) on the little branding chute. As a Longhorn rancher, I use a fabricated Medina Hinge and built it so portions would drop down to allow space. However, it's still quite cumbersome. That little chute appears PERFECT and even somewhat "light" meaning easily transported. I have NEVER seen one around here, all use the standard TSC squeeze chute. Heck, I could buy one and lease it out I bet, SERIOUSLY NEVER SEEN ONE!
PLEASE REPLY!!!

TexasBred":3s2pjgi8 said:
Love that countryside out behind you. Not a chance anybody could sneak up on you. You could see'em comin' for 10 miles. Course nobody ever shows up anyway when there's work to do unless you got plenty of "free beer". Love that little chute...is that shop made??

Hah, it isn't quite THAT flat around here. There are some places in Sask, that are that flat though.

The chute isn't shop made, we bought it at a farm/ranch auction, for about 1/2 of its new price. It is real easy to use, and safe too.

hillsdown":ct59rx1g said:
Ouch poor babies.. :(

I feel bad when I tattoo them ,can't imagine branding them..

Looks like a lot of work Randi, good job. :tiphat:

TB that is why they always apply that old saying to Saskatchewan.."you can see your dog run away and it takes 10 days.." :lol2: Northern Sask. is heavily forested though.

Yeah, I don't really care to brand them either, but it is a necessity for us. The feeder coop we are in requires it, the community pasture does too, and we send cows 2 hours from home, so we like to have them branded when they go. Just in case.

We are actually pretty hilly around here. Kind of live in a bowl with some pretty good hills all around us.

B&L Longhorn Ranch":189x7yuf said:
I'd like more info (Brand Name, Model) on the little branding chute. As a Longhorn rancher, I use a fabricated Medina Hinge and built it so portions would drop down to allow space. However, it's still quite cumbersome. That little chute appears PERFECT and even somewhat "light" meaning easily transported. I have NEVER seen one around here, all use the standard TSC squeeze chute. Heck, I could buy one and lease it out I bet, SERIOUSLY NEVER SEEN ONE!
PLEASE REPLY!!!

It is pretty light and easy to transport. Comes with a little hitch and wheels as well. The head catch, is a lever, that you pull down on their neck.

Here is a link to the place that makes them.

http://www.7llivestockequipment.com/m35 ... chute.html

I was going to ask, why go through all the work of branding. I understand the shared pasture and the necessity of positive identification.

mnmtranching":3ilv1rdg said:
I was going to ask, why go through all the work of branding. I understand the shared pasture and the necessity of positive identification.

For a number of reasons. First off is the one you mention. We send to community pastures, and they MUST be branded to go there. Ear tags can be lost, a brand is permanant mark of ownership. Secondly, we own our cattle through a Feeder/Breeder coop. So, they have to be branded for that. And thirdly we send cattle 2 hours from home. We aren't there to check them every day, so if something ever got out, and lost an ear tag you would never have proof that it was your animal. We have had 2 animals wander in over the years. One was a heifer calf, one a mature bull. They both had eartags, but neither had a brand. We finally sold the heifer calf, searched for the owner, put ads on all the lost and found radio shows, talked to all the neighbours and never did find the owner (and it did have an eartag with PAT and then a # on it). The bull we didn't sell, he kept on travelling. But I searched for the owner and never did come up with anyone. The neighbours up there said that he'd been seen around there for a few weeks before he got in with ours, nobody had any idea where he had come from. No brand, no way to find an owner..... Unless you put your name and # on the eartag, even that won't help you find an owner.

mnmtranching":3q5c1x1c said:

We purchase almost all our replacements from the same ranch. They brand them for us. Its way better than an ear tag. We get .75 per lb extra. ;-)

Randi thanks for the info. on the calf chute. Also, here in Texas, branding is the only proof of ownership accepted by law. Bangs tag numbers, ear tags, etc. all help with identification but brands are the legal proof. Course on some of these old cows you have to try and figure out "which brand" is the most current one. ;-)

TexasBred":3ntled0n said:
Randi thanks for the info. on the calf chute. Also, here in Texas, branding is the only proof of ownership accepted by law. Bangs tag numbers, ear tags, etc. all help with identification but brands are the legal proof. Course on some of these old cows you have to try and figure out "which brand" is the most current one. ;-)

It is the same up here.

Some of those cows aren't so old. We've had 2 year olds that had 3 and 4 brands on them already.

Latest posts