Branding Meal

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
What do you make for a crew at branding or roundup's or whatever the thing is you do when the friends, family and neighbors come over to help?

Our branding menu for tomorrow

Roast beef
potato casserole
green bean casserole
wheat salad
taco salad
rolls
deviled eggs
orange salad
angelfood cake with fresh stawberries

So who's coming? :D :D :D

Actually had a couple people tell us unless they get steaks at brandings they don't come. We would have to butcher 2 steers just to get enough steaks for everyone that shows up.

We always branded once a week (one pasture a week) for six weeks at an average of 100 pairs each branding . We had a five man crew, three on horseback, two on the ground. Sal, an old mexican man, always worked on the ground even though he was the best roper out of all of us.
Sal would clean fresh "oysters" as fast as we could drag them to him and pitch them strait into the batter. Once we got down to around the last twenty calves, he would slip off and start cooking and be passing out cold beer by the time we were done.
Dinner once a week for six weeks at a time was a six pack and a few tacos made with fresh breaded mountain oysters, cilantro, onion and cabbage on a corn tortilla.
Gooood stuff :nod:

cow pollinater":h7pjrdag said:
We always branded once a week (one pasture a week) for six weeks at an average of 100 pairs each branding . We had a five man crew, three on horseback, two on the ground. Sal, an old mexican man, always worked on the ground even though he was the best roper out of all of us.
Sal would clean fresh "oysters" as fast as we could drag them to him and pitch them strait into the batter. Once we got down to around the last twenty calves, he would slip off and start cooking and be passing out cold beer by the time we were done.
Dinner once a week for six weeks at a time was a six pack and a few tacos made with fresh breaded mountain oysters, cilantro, onion and cabbage on a corn tortilla.
Gooood stuff :nod:

Beats the crap out of a tough steak.

ILH don't you trade off branding help with other ranchers? Do they all feed steaks. It's supposed to be about either helping a neighbor or getting paid to do a job. If it's helping a neighbor you get fed what they can afford. If it's about doing it for wages then let em buy their own dam steaks.

When I help someone brand I just appreciate it if I get fed ....period. Now the thing that's not optional is BEER. No beer no work(after we are through of course)

3way use to help neighbors work cattle about twice a year. About 200 mama cows, all with horns and abotu half wild...lots of fun and also a pretty good job. Typical lunch was summer sausage, vienna sausage, a hunk of cheese, saltine crackers and of course a plentiful supply of cold beer.... and a big "thank you" when we finished.

Yep got the beer for the adults and pop and such for the kids.

3way we normally do. I have yet to go to a branding in which steaks are served. Guess those people were picky. they haven't been invited here.
Found out last night that i had no powdered sugar and hubby's cell phone died on him so no Angel Food Cake. :cry2:
Make a Snickerdoodle cake I got the recipe off of another forum. Boy does it look good.

Soooooooo, how did branding go ILH ?
I would show up just to give you all a hand , even if you served Kool Aid and KD . :tiphat:

Went pretty darn good. Just about all the food was eaten so very few leftovers.
Wish I had made an extra pan of potato casserole that was the first thing gone.
Cows got their shots and pour on. Calves got done.
the pairs are out to pasture. Suppose to finally warm up here and if it does we are going to put the yearlings out to pasture.
Only thing left to do is pour the bulls and steers and we are done with that for now.