branding irons

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
going to go order an eelctric branding iron today.whats yalls thoughts on electric branding irons.i know that alot yall probly use the fire branding irons.but electric will be easy for me since ill brand when i wean an work the calves.i used to let the vet use a running iron to brand them years ago.but since ill be branding reg beefmasters.i thought it was best to get my own branding iron.

warpaint":rlvpabh6 said:
Been using an electric iron for awhile now. I like it.
i hope i like it.most times i can be close to a power outlet.but the vet will probly do all the branding when i have the calves worked.the old style branding irons cost 4x as much when you get everything you need.

We do most of our branding at weaning. We take them in to the vet's for their vaccinations and we do it there.

Even when your not close to a power outlet, a small generator supplies all the power you will need.

warpaint":22aelg9l said:
We do most of our branding at weaning. We take them in to the vet's for their vaccinations and we do it there.

Even when your not close to a power outlet, a small generator supplies all the power you will need.
im thinking way a head of you.im getting the branding iron with the heavy cord.an already thought about the small generator.

I made my own branding iron. I just build a fire and throw the iron in it. The electrics cost about $400.00 last time I looked. Didn't cost me nearly that much to make mine and run it.

We use a set of our Ranch Brand plus 3 irons with numbers 0 to 9 on them. The 9 and 6 are the same number.

We ordered them from Husky in Arkansas several years ago. I think we paid less than $300 for all 4 irons.

Still working great!

Earl Thigpen":3kfwub4r said:
I made my own branding iron. I just build a fire and throw the iron in it. The electrics cost about $400.00 last time I looked. Didn't cost me nearly that much to make mine and run it.

I cheated. Started using the oxy/acetylene rig.

well i went an ordered the electric branding iron.its gonna cost me $80 for the iron.i also reg my brand.an that was $16 for 4yrs.so my brand is reged till 2011.

bigbull338":3lx1w2qb said:
well i went an ordered the electric branding iron.its gonna cost me $80 for the iron.i also reg my brand.an that was $16 for 4yrs.so my brand is reged till 2011.

Good deal.

Earl,

I might have made my own if I could have made it from wood. :p
I never have been much of an iron worker. :oops:

Got one about '03 use a heavy duty extension cord. Works great. Still have the oven and the propane tank. We also have all of the brands our family has owned. They are all hanging in the old shed. Only problem we have with any iron is if the wind is blowing cold it does not stay hot long.
Normally brand our calves at about 2 months of age. less stress.

bigbull338":3ba6zuir said:
whats yalls thoughts on electric branding irons.i know that alot yall probly use the fire branding irons.but electric will be easy for me since ill brand when i wean an work the calves.i used to let the vet use a running iron to brand them years ago.but since ill be branding reg beefmasters.i thought it was best to get my own branding iron.

We have an electric branding iron, and I've noticed that - when branding in the spring - the hair seems to stick to them worse than with fire-heated irons. I've also noticed that they tend to not produce as sharp/clear of a brand as the fire-heated irons, and seem to require being held on longer. Those things might not be an issue in your area, though, as your winters are not as harsh as ours.

When we are branding in colder weather, I usually will take along the trimmers and use them on the calf's hip and side where the brand is going. It seems to work better for me that way.

well if the hair is to long i might clipp it off.if im at the vets.since ill brand when i wean an work the calves.no telling what time of year thatll be.ive got 2 calves to wean in oct or nov.an 1 that will be weaned in feb or mar.so branding will vary.

I paid $259.00 for our farm brand and the set of numbers (electric) from Texas Longhorn Ranch Supply. Of course that's been ten years ago but they sure have paid for themselves time and again. These folks are Longhorn breeders themselves and do a good job making up the brand for you. If you need the phone # let me know and I'll get it for you. Electric is the way to go, much easier to regulate the heat and get an even brand.

I love the electric. Hot, and even heat. Brand one and finish up with the calf and by the time you're ready for the next one it's HOT again. Get that good "baseball glove color" brand and it will last a lifetime.

watch out for shorting in the wire. a friend of ours was shocking the cows in the chute because of a short in the wire. we use iron. we have a "grill" type thing set up and a propane torch set in it that we use to heat.

cowgirl580":1zcnkrwq said:
watch out for shorting in the wire. a friend of ours was shocking the cows in the chute because of a short in the wire. we use iron. we have a "grill" type thing set up and a propane torch set in it that we use to heat.
this is a new branding iron.thanks for the heads up.ill watch for loose wires.

bigbull338":3trmcnsu said:
cowgirl580":3trmcnsu said:
this is a new branding iron.thanks for the heads up.ill watch for loose wires.

i'm really sure his wasn't new and knowing how things get thrown around his place i can see it happening. good luck with yours. :D

Latest posts