Branding Irons

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
The ranch I work for is looking for a set of conventional hot branding irons. We need one custom branding iron made that will be registered at the county clerk's office (Texas). I would also like to get a full set of numbers (probably 3").

Can anyone recommend a place that where I can purchase a full set of irons? I am in the Central Texas area.

I may try and build the custom iron myself; however, I think would rather purchase the numbers.

We got an excellent electric set from Husky in Arkansas. For our custom brand and 3 more irons with the 0-9 numbers we paid about $300 or so.

I got mine from Valley Vet supply. I have also seen them in the Cattleman magazine sent out by Texas and SW cattle raisers. I am happy with the numbers and my irons from valley. :D

TXBobcat":2uacm0ph said:
The ranch I work for is looking for a set of conventional hot branding irons. We need one custom branding iron made that will be registered at the county clerk's office (Texas). I would also like to get a full set of numbers (probably 3").

Can anyone recommend a place that where I can purchase a full set of irons? I am in the Central Texas area.

I may try and build the custom iron myself; however, I think would rather purchase the numbers.

If I might make a suggestion. When it comes to location of your brand, I would go for the Rib first and then the hip second. Stay away from the shoulder area. It's a lot harder to get a good brand on the shoulder bone due to excessive movement and if you use a squeeze they tend to crowd forward pushing your brand back in the rib area. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Rod

When we burned shoulders we found that throwing the calf and some one holding the leg bent but with the feet of the person holding the calf against the chest gave us a clear brand

dun

MR3":39s3my9r said:
TXBobcat":39s3my9r said:

If I might make a suggestion. When it comes to location of your brand, I would go for the Rib first and then the hip second. Stay away from the shoulder area. It's a lot harder to get a good brand on the shoulder bone due to excessive movement and if you use a squeeze they tend to crowd forward pushing your brand back in the rib area. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Rod

If you are after every buck you can make go for a hip brand first- many buyers discount rib and shoulder brands. When Future Beef was operating they gave something like $10 a head extra for no brand and $5 extra for a hip brand. Shoulder and rib brands ruin too much of the hide. A good big rib brand though is the easiest to read all year around. I've seen some rib brands you could read a quarter mile away.

If you can't get a hip brand- go with what you can get. I'm a firm believer in branding cattle-brands recover and prevent theft of thousands of dollars worth of cattle a year.

Oldtimer":1h50r1w2 said:
If you are after every buck you can make go for a hip brand first- many buyers discount rib and shoulder brands. When Future Beef was operating they gave something like $10 a head extra for no brand and $5 extra for a hip brand. Shoulder and rib brands ruin too much of the hide. A good big rib brand though is the easiest to read all year around. I've seen some rib brands you could read a quarter mile away.

If you can't get a hip brand- go with what you can get. I'm a firm believer in branding cattle-brands recover and prevent theft of thousands of dollars worth of cattle a year.

I agree with your thoughts. I was planning to brand on the hip, but possibly register the brand in all locations. In Texas, the way I understand it, you have to register the brand and the location you plan to use it. In other words, if you don't register all locations, someone in your same county could use the same brand you are using, but in a different location on the animal.

TXBobcat":3bius3mp said:
Oldtimer":3bius3mp said:

I agree with your thoughts. I was planning to brand on the hip, but possibly register the brand in all locations. In Texas, the way I understand it, you have to register the brand and the location you plan to use it. In other words, if you don't register all locations, someone in your same county could use the same brand you are using, but in a different location on the animal.

True. Register brand for all locations. Brand registrations are renewed every 10 years. Check with County clerk's office for details and search for existing brands to make sure your's is unique and eligible for registration. We brand on hip area using a set of Husky Electric Branding Irons. Our ranch brand plus 3 irons of all numbers were $335. couple of years ago.

If somebody else registered all 6 locations, 8 if you count the jaw, you would probably think them a real jerk.

dun

Running Arrow Bill":vhxnoi5q said:
TXBobcat":vhxnoi5q said:
Oldtimer":vhxnoi5q said:

True. Register brand for all locations. Brand registrations are renewed every 10 years. Check with County clerk's office for details and search for existing brands to make sure your's is unique and eligible for registration. We brand on hip area using a set of Husky Electric Branding Irons. Our ranch brand plus 3 irons of all numbers were $335. couple of years ago.

dun":c58o3ofc said:
If somebody else registered all 6 locations, 8 if you count the jaw, you would probably think them a real jerk.

dun

You would do more than just eliminate those branding locations, you would eliminate in the future all similar brands to those locations!

Rod

If you're using a registered brand (e.g. circle Z) on the left hip and somebody else brands a circle Z on the left ribs, it's a different brand and therefore signifies a different owner. The brand inspectors and the law will recognize it as two different owners. There should not be any confusion. If you want to go with the belt and suspenders approach you could also notch ears.

Craig-TX

I got to thinking about all this. It might be slightly off the subject, but it might prove to be useful information to some folks. Say you're at the sale and you see a cow or a pair come through. She is a good looking cow and not too old, but she's going cheap. Before you "steal" her, think twice if she has two or more brands. If she does, then at least two or more people have decided she's not worth her trouble. She's probably wild as a March hare or a sorry momma or something else is wrong with her. It all gets back to the old line, "If it's too good to be true…" In this case, the multiple brands are telling on her.

Craig-TX

If some guy tries to register a circle 2, or circle 7, or circle L, he would be out of luck if you had those places registered with a circle Z. They would be to similar in design. It would be best just to register the place you intend to brand, leaving more places available for the next guy. Besides I am sure it will cost you for each location you register.

Rod

Craig-TX":333vo71i said:
I got to thinking about all this. It might be slightly off the subject, but it might prove to be useful information to some folks. Say you're at the sale and you see a cow or a pair come through. She is a good looking cow and not too old, but she's going cheap. Before you "steal" her, think twice if she has two or more brands. If she does, then at least two or more people have decided she's not worth her trouble. She's probably wild as a March hare or a sorry momma or something else is wrong with her. It all gets back to the old line, "If it's too good to be true…" In this case, the multiple brands are telling on her.

Craig-TX

Very good point Craig. That is definately something to consider when buying cattle at the sale.

MR3 - So you are saying 2 similiar brands can't be registered in the same spot??? :? I thought if they were exactly the same, or maybe really close you would have to register in different spots.

MR3 - So you are saying 2 similiar brands can't be registered in the same spot??? I thought if they were exactly the same, or maybe really close you would have to register in different spo

Yep! you got it. When you submit a drawing of your brand a search will be conducted to see if that brand is taken or if there is an existing brand that might conflict with yours. This is to prevent accidental hangings! It would be a good idea to submit more than one brand drawing with your preferences in order. good luck! :cboy:

Rod

Anonymous":37612hgp said:
Has anyone had any experienc with freeze branding?
Yes. There is some details that most people don't do and the brands are splotched or just doesn't show up as good as you would like. I have a set of instructions written by a man that has done it for about 30 years or longer. There a few pointers that most can use. If interested I can eMail it. Just eMail me for them.

MR3":5yfs6kmo said:
MR3 - So you are saying 2 similiar brands can't be registered in the same spot??? I thought if they were exactly the same, or maybe really close you would have to register in different spo

Yep! you got it. When you submit a drawing of your brand a search will be conducted to see if that brand is taken or if there is an existing brand that might conflict with yours. This is to prevent accidental hangings! It would be a good idea to submit more than one brand drawing with your preferences in order. good luck! :cboy:

Rod

Good thoughts. But bear in mind that it's only good to the county line. In other words, there could be something close to yours over there.

Craig-TX

Latest posts