BRANDING HELP!!

Help Support CattleToday:

9RANCH

Reaction score
Hey Every one i finally found a great forum for the thing i love and want to do most. here is the deal everyone my father was a beef and dairy farmer.i was to young to pick up on any tips and learn vital details. i now want to continue where he left off and start my own cattle ranch up i got most of the basics up with pasture feed etc. the question i wanted to get too is at the branding stage for your herd what vaccines are you suppose to provide your herd with. I also remeber very vaguely some spray being sprayed over them aswell. And would the vaccines explain the ear tags or is that some thing else i know 1 ear tag is identifaction tag by government law. THANk you VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME All THE BEST JOE. :D

Welcome Joe.
Where are you located? That would help for the laws in each state or country are different.
Did you Dad have a registered brand?

We give our calves at branding Vista Once SQ, Vision 8, and Naselgen. Others use different vaccines, it depends upon where you are. Go talk to your local big animal vet and they can get you going the right direction.
Now ear tags are done for each persons operation. Our's list the year and order in which the calf was born and it is placed in the ear to show the sex of the calf. Example: 901 right ear. First calf is a heifer. Steers go in the left ear.
Some tags are for fly control.
There is a tag put in the cows ear to track them.
The spray you remember was probably a pour on for parasites.

First Off I would like to say thank you very much for your Reply it is very much aperciated and helpful, as for my location i am located in CANADA,Sothern Ontario, as for a registered brand he did have one back in europe.not here in canada where i plan to start from scratch.
:cboy:

Glad I could help.
Maybe Hillsdown or Aaron or one of the other members from Canada can help you out. :D
You can also check out ranchers.net
That is another web site. It is part of this site, but there are a lot more Canadians on it. They can also help you out.

9RANCH":1coofmet said:
Hey Every one i finally found a great forum for the thing i love and want to do most. here is the deal everyone my father was a beef and dairy farmer.i was to young to pick up on any tips and learn vital details. i now want to continue where he left off and start my own cattle ranch up i got most of the basics up with pasture feed etc. the question i wanted to get too is at the branding stage for your herd what vaccines are you suppose to provide your herd with. I also remeber very vaguely some spray being sprayed over them aswell. And would the vaccines explain the ear tags or is that some thing else i know 1 ear tag is identifaction tag by government law. THANk you VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME All THE BEST JOE. :D

OK, branding season is here. First off, you must have a registered brand. This is done through your provincial ag department.

As for vaccines, at the very least you should give a 7 or 8 way clostridal vaccine. There are many others out there, and the best way to know what you need would be to talk to a local vet, you'll need him to get ahold of most vaccines anyway, or a local cattle producer. You can also give a dose of ivermectin, either injectible or topical.

Cows should be vaccinated about 3 weeks before breeding with a vaccine that covers BVD, IBR and PI3. Express 10 is an example of this. We prefer to use a live vaccine, but you can also use a killed one.

The CCIA/RFID ear tags are a separate deal from vaccines. They simply carry herd of origin info with them, along with age verification info if it has been added to the database.

It is also a good idea to have some sort of herd ID system so that you can match cows and calves together. This makes it easier to know which calf goes with which cow, and therefore, which cows are not producing up to your standards. It can be as simple or elaborate as you want. We simply tag a calf with the same eartag # as their mother has.

Thanks Randi. I forgot about the cows shots. :oops:

We use Ranch Manager software program for keeping track of our cows and calves. We also write it down on the calender when the calf is born with the cows number, the calf's number and sex. Also use the little pocket book.
Wash that little book once and you keep track of the pairs in as many different ways as possible. :D :lol2:

Latest posts