Branding Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

leeshy

Reaction score
I was planing on bringing some cattle from Canada to show at Denverbut, I am told anything crossing the border needs to be branded. I said I am taking them back to Canada after the show, they said still needs to be branded. I wonder how good they would look with a fresh brand on them. Probably is best to leave them in Canada

Snider_Angus":1e07rz0l said:
You could clean the brands up after they are done or!! Just freeze brand them instead of fire.

The C^N brand identifying Canadian cattle has to be a hot iron brand.....Anyway any coming into Montana do- so they can be permanently tracked....

Avalon":31fn78vv said:
Yikes you dont have much time for a fire brand to heal up.
Do they specify where the animal is to be branded?

Under Montana Law any Canadian cattle being imported to the state- besides being individual IDed must have C^N hot iron branded on the right tail head...

It appears some of the other states have differing laws/requirements for Canadian cattle...This is mainly so that if an imported animal shows up testing positive for BSE- it will be readily identifiable as being of Canadian origin (which another positive BSE showed up in Alberta yesterday :roll: )- but also for country of origin identification for the new COOL law that will be in effect this next fall....

In WA state the vet put in an emergency rule requireing the CAN brand be applied but it can be a freeze brand. The seedstock breeders on both sides of the border are not happy with the rule and hope it does not become perm. Some breeders are bringing animals in to a state that doesn't require the brand first and then head to the state of destination.

Latest posts