Dad, my boy, and friend/bull customer

Dad and my boy taking a rest

Having a beer

Dad and the nordfork

Brothers and some of the best cowboys around

Me

Me again

The finished product

Great pictures. Thanks for taking the time to post them. It sure points out the wide range of cattle systems in this country! Sure is different from mine. I've been to the stock barn in Herreid, are these photos from that area? Grass and cattle look good. Fine looking cattle going through the sale the day I was there. I like the fact they take great care to identify the producer for most groups. Still a people business as well as a cattle business. Jim

Looks like fine summer cow country!!. When my wife and I travel, it's usually to the Western Dakotas.

SRBeef":1cwg5un7 said:
Great pictures. Thanks for taking the time to post them. It sure points out the wide range of cattle systems in this country! Sure is different from mine. I've been to the stock barn in Herreid, are these photos from that area? Grass and cattle look good. Fine looking cattle going through the sale the day I was there. I like the fact they take great care to identify the producer for most groups. Still a people business as well as a cattle business. Jim

Thanks! We are about 80 miles west of there.

BRG":2f3c88sy said:
SRBeef":2f3c88sy said:

Thanks! We are about 80 miles west of there.
Thanks for your post. What does the brand stand for?

Everything looks great even if one of the pictures is of you. :lol:
I have got to ask what is the nordfork?
Also it seems there is no shade for the cows. How do they handle that or is there some trees we do not see?

kenny thomas":1b9zai0j said:
Also it seems there is no shade for the cows. How do they handle that or is there some trees we do not see?

Nordfork device is the double tuning fork shaped hinged contraption that BRG's dad is holding. As the heeler drags the calf by the Nordfork is placed over the neck and settles just behind the ears and the jaw of the calf once the calf is stretched out, and essentially holds the head of the calf while the heeler keeps the heels. The one end of the nordfork is attached with a piece of rope to an old inner tube that is tied to a stake in the ground for the anchor.

I don't know if that description makes any sense, hopefully it helps. :)

Dylan Biggs":2klt3km6 said:
kenny thomas":2klt3km6 said:

Nordfork device is the double tuning fork shaped hinged contraption that BRG's dad is holding. As the heeler drags the calf by the Nordfork is placed over the neck and settles just behind the ears and the jaw of the calf once the calf is stretched out, and essentially holds the head of the calf while the heeler keeps the heels. The one end of the nordfork is attached with a piece of rope to an old inner tube that is tied to a stake in the ground for the anchor.

Thanks, Dylan. It does make sense.

kenny thomas":6mxymens said:

Not much for shade in our country.

I love the photo of your dad and your son. It would be a great Father's Day gift to him that I'm sure he'd like.

BRG":ssuquaut said:
3waycross":ssuquaut said:
Man alive Brian I sure like that Dun horse. :nod:

He is pretty dam good, once you catch him :)

Had a Dun when I was a kid that was that way. He got cured of that by an old vaquero from Mexico he used a kind of a running W on him. He was pretty easy to catch after that. It did take a while for the hide to grow back on his nose though. :nod:

Dylan Biggs":2ek1mj4k said:
kenny thomas":2ek1mj4k said:

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks to Kenny for asking and DB for answering.
Why the chaps? Sure doesn't look like much brush in that country.

Ryder":315oavlv said:
Dylan Biggs":315oavlv said:
kenny thomas":315oavlv said:

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks to Kenny for asking and DB for answering.
Why the chaps? Sure doesn't look like much brush in that country.

They are chinks, not chaps :) Anyway, you get to the next pasture North and East and it is filled with plum thickets and other berry bushes that the cows like to hide in. So that is one reason for the chinks, but today it is mainly for roping and dragging the calves. It is a heck of a lot easier on your leg and a pair of pants if the rope drags over the chinks instead of your bare leg. Also, I feel a lot more comfortable around a hot iron, vaccination needle, and kicking calves wearing a little protection where most of the action is.

Latest posts