brand new

Help Support CattleToday:

here is another general question, how long is the birth cycle of a cow, do you guys control when they breed and when you want them to give birth?

Not real sure what yu mean by the "birth cycle", but a cow is pregnant in the neigborhood of 283 days, some breeds, and individual animals, a few days longer or a few shorter. Two weeks before or after the expected calving day is considered "normal". A cow/heifer comes into heat every 17-21 days. From the time the cow/heifer starts into active labor, i.e. bearing down and pushing, the calf should be on the ground in an hour, or at least significant and continuous progress should be made. Heifers may take a little longer, but 1 hour has been our threshhold.

dun

Have a chute and head gate ready to use before you buy the first cow. Have a trailer or ready acces to one. In your area, expecting average rainfall, 2-3 acres per cow. Like daddy always said, "A man should have more grass than he's got cows". As Dun reported, average gestational time is 283 days. You will also want to maintain your cattle in good condition (body condition score 5 or better) prior to calving to reduce the time for them to breed back. Remember they need to breed back within 85 days of calving to have a calf per year [where the potential profit (or note payment) is]. :D Also, if you haven't already, check out the "Starter Kit for new cattle owners" thread on the Beginners Board. Lots of good tips there. You've created some interesting and informataive dialogue. You've thanked several people, and I'd like to thank you for opening up several topics. Thank you.

thank you docgraybull, i'd be way behind without this site and all it's members. what is the deal with cattle rings in the nose? does anyone still do this and what is the purpose. how long do you guys typically keep a bull around before you think he's too old.

If you plan to keep your heifers out of a one-bull herd, 2 years of service is my ideal. At that point his daughters are ready for breeding. If you plan to sell calves you might use him longer. Be sure to get a bull mature enough to service the herd without over working him.

does anyone know of any state or government grants/low interest loan programs here in oklahoma.
ps im going to the tulsa farm show today so hopefully i'll get plenty more information there. thanks guys

talk to the local ASCS, office and they can lead you in the right direction towards getting one. assuming there are some

is there such a thing as cattle insurance? sorry but what is ACSC?

ASCS was - Agriculture Stabilization Conservation Service. It is no longer that name. When the FHA(Farm Home Administration) was made into the FSA (Farm Service Agency) they also put in the ASCS to be part of the FSA. So now both are (should be) in the same office.

There is cattle insurance for lightning strikes and other such disasters, but you just as well put the payments in a bank account to pull out of. They get really pissy if you reach the deductable more than one year in a row.

i journeyed to the loft above our barn the other day and found about 20 old square bales of hay. i know they have been up there for years, is there anything this could be good for or is best to chunk it? i figured that it would not be a good idea to give to the cows.

okmike":46opqk36 said:
i journeyed to the loft above our barn the other day and found about 20 old square bales of hay. i know they have been up there for years, is there anything this could be good for or is best to chunk it? i figured that it would not be a good idea to give to the cows.

One thing you could use the bales as is ditch diversions during irrigating season.

If you get a farm loan to pay for your cows you will have to get insurance. Alot of companies won't write a policy on just cows. They want other existing business too. My insurance is about $450 a year. That is a $20,000 herd policy with $100,000 liability. This insurance cost also includes my equipment (tractor, baler, hay rake and disc cutter) We haven't had insurance before I took out a loan but honestly we can't afford to be without it. We travel on the highway with our equipment so the liability insurance in pretty important and there are alot of crops (cotton, corn, beans, rice) around here. If our herd gets out and eats $10,000 of someone's crop, I don't want to have to pay for it.

Josh

how old do you guys typically let your calves get before you sell them? also how long do most cattle live?

okmike":1wcdttym said:
how old do you guys typically let your calves get before you sell them? also how long do most cattle live?

It depends on your stocking rate and many other variables.
I have a nieghbor that won't sell a calf untill its atleast a year old, he has many acres and few cattle, I sell my calves around 8 months old.

Breeding cattle's usefull life is 9 to 10 years old, some have 15 or even 20 year old cows,[rare]

70% of cattle born in the US never see their second birthday.

Hillbilly

okmike":1sxaw6p3 said:

That all depends on your type of set up and fed stuff avalible. There's the weaning right off the cow straight on to the truck - typically 8-9 months of age in normal grazing situations, then the weaning of the cow and keep them at home and feed them until about 30-45 days then sell them as "weaned calves", then there's backgrounding - weaning off the cow and feeding them for a much longer period of time and then sell them, Then weaning and taking them right through finishing(slaughter). What is best for you can be penciled out for the different situations, but the first 2 options are the most typical.

Our cows last up to 15 years. Seen alot of herds who's cows are done at 10. Genetics and environment are the difference.

okmike":3jwdzo4y said:

We list our calves for sale starting at weaning time 6-7 months. We also sell 2 in 1 and 3 in 1 packages.

Our oldest registered Longhorns presently are 12-14 years old. We have no problem buying a quality cow who is 8, 10, 12 years old. Longhorns can consistently produce a calf into their late teens and early 20's. We rotate our bulls to increase our breeding variety in our herd. One of our top producing cows is now 12 years old.

Had a friend whose Hereford cow raised the high-indexing bull calf one year at the age of 15. Sold her when she was 17. My L1M cow was sired by a bull who lasted 15 years.

I start promoting my calves when they are a couple months old.