Brand new baby

Help Support CattleToday:

T Diamond

Reaction score
We have a new baby. She was 4 days overdue. She is out of a Chi/Angus cow and a Shorthorn/Lowline bull. We were hoping for a bull calf. The reason we got into breeding was to have 4-H steers for our son, but now we have to buy a steer for next years fair. She will make a nice addition to our little herd.

bigbull338

Reaction score
heifer calves will always make a herd grow.sorry that you have to buy a steer for your son to show.

OP
T

T Diamond

Reaction score
Our county fair has both Market and Breeding classes but only steers go to auction. This helps the kids finance the next year's project. My son raised 2 pigs before his first steer and that helped him pay for the steer and feed. He took Grand Champ with his first steer and cleared over $9000.00. He bought another steer, 2 heifers, a years worth of feed, and paid for the breeding on both heifers. We lost 1 heifer and the calf she was carrying at 3 month gestation. We will just go to AZ Nationals for next years steer. You always have a 50/50 chance when you breed. We will give the bull 3 more trys then we will switch semen if he keeps throwing heifers.

Katpau

Reaction score
Last year we had over 75 % heifers. We are a commercial operation and I was not happy. I thought something was wrong with the bulls or weather or feed. This year only 8 of our first 31 calves are heifers. We didn't do anything different. I would love to have this keep up, but I probably jinxed it by talking about it. I wouldn't blame the bull with only 3 calves.

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Who cares if you are a commercial operation and get mainly heifers? Slaughter the heifers. Not that big a deal, okay so you might get a slight slight discount when selling but really, its not the end of the world. When calves come out of our terminal herd, I couldnt care less what bits they have, as long as they are well muscled, grow quickly and finish out.

Katpau

Reaction score
I sell the heifers for slaughter too. But a 600 pound steer at $1.00 is worth more than a 550 pound heifer at $.90.

ga. prime

Reaction score
Katpau":jzrn8ube said:
Obviously my calves don't go directly to slaugher. I sell them as feeders.
I sell mine as feeders also, Katpau. A steer is worth at least $100-$150 more than a heifer at 6-7months of age in my market. I care considerably whether I get mainly heifer calves.

Latest posts