Branch View Angus sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Logan52

Reaction score
This sale is coming up early next month. It is the largest sale of registered Angus cattle in Kentucky and is only a few miles from my home.
I am retired and 70 years old, basically just doing what I have always done, running cows and a few sheep on 86 acres.
I do take pride in the calves I raise. Over the years most bulls have come from the stockyards or people in the area that raise a few grade bulls to sell.

My cows are nice home raised Red Poll X Charolais crosses, together with some black heifers I have kept back after breeding them to an Angus bull.

Does someone like me have any business attending this sale to look for a low end yearling bull, safe to breed to heifers? My last bull I bought at the stockyards and he looked fine but about 25% of his calves graded "short" out of my cows, cows that always before produced calves that about topped the market.

Note of caution: Free advice may not be worth the cost of your investment.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
I wish you well. LVR

I've been to one of their sales several years back. It doesn't hurt a thing to go look around, at several farms or sales. You may want to consider going to one of the CKAA consignment sales in Danville KY as well. I have seen some decent bulls sell through those for less than they would bring at a larger outfits bull sale.

I go to every bull sale around, whether I need one right then not. Gives me an idea where to go and what to look for when I do need one. Without fail, there are always a handful of decent bulls that sell for prices that anyone could afford. Some times they're younger than the others, sometimes I'm not even sure why they sell low.

Their data format does not let one search EPDs or sires easily. If you want somebody to help you the first thing would be to get their sales data in a spreadsheet format and search for the thing(s) that you want.

With a fairly small herd of cows, I usually only keep a bull two or three years. After that I need to keep back some heifers and also enjoy a winter not feeding a bull. That is where I am now.

Several years back I attended a sale like this and bought a Connealy Danny Boy son that was a little over a year old and had recovered from pink-eye for $1,700. This was a sale where most of the bulls were bringing $3,000 or more. He was an easy keeper and had great calves out of my crossbred cows. He brought back what I paid for him when I sold him by the pound.

I do not really need a top rung bull but like the idea of good health records and predictability that comes from the bulls from these sales. At least you know more about them than one just going through the ring at the yards. Plus it is fun to just look around and plan for next year.

I've been to one of their sales several years back. It doesn't hurt a thing to go look around, at several farms or sales. You may want to consider going to one of the CKAA consignment sales in Danville KY as well. I have seen some decent bulls sell through those for less than they would bring at a larger outfits bull sale.
And to top it off you usually get a good feed for free so go there hungry.

Ken

Latest posts