Brahma's

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I keep reading all the posts about brahma's and brahma cross cattle. I have had little experience with the breed except for 40 years ago when I used to ride them. I keep seeing posts about their great dispositions, but on the other hand almost every rodeo bull you see is some kind of brahma cross- and most of them like to eat people.

Several years ago a local rancher AI'ed several hundred black and black baldy cattle to Brahma bulls. He then left the bull calves run until they were 2 year olds before gathering them. Talk about a bunch of mean, ornery cattle. They crippled horses, tore up trailers and a few ended up being rounded up with a 30-30.

Where do you guys find all these quiet bramers?

Oldtimer":3tqxm8rm said:
I keep reading all the posts about brahma's and brahma cross cattle. I have had little experience with the breed except for 40 years ago when I used to ride them. I keep seeing posts about their great dispositions, but on the other hand almost every rodeo bull you see is some kind of brahma cross- and most of them like to eat people.

Several years ago a local rancher AI'ed several hundred black and black baldy cattle to Brahma bulls. He then left the bull calves run until they were 2 year olds before gathering them. Talk about a bunch of mean, ornery cattle. They crippled horses, tore up trailers and a few ended up being rounded up with a 30-30.

for some reason it seems when the brahmans are crossed, the goofy gene tends to show up. we used to run brahman bulls on our polled hereford cows. the bulls were gentle, the cows were gentle & the calves were wild as march hares.

on a serious note, you let anything run out for a couple years they are going to be snakey. i've seen plenty of brahma cattle over the years that would clean your plow, and plenty that were gentle as dogs. i've had some that would eat out of your hand in the pasture, get them in the pen working them and moving them around and they will clean your plow. the next day they will walk right up to you in the pasture. the part brahma cows work good in the south where its hot, they will be out grazing when other cows are laying under a shade tree. they don't like the cold weather though. i've seen them shaking like a bowl of jello and angus and herefords wouldn't be shaking a bit. i had a brangus bull last year and he couldn't take the cold, shevered all the time when the wind was out of the north and it was cold. i knew a man who had nothing but hereford cattle, he penned them once a year to pull the calves off, you couldn't get in the pen with them, fightenest cows yu ever saw. he couldn't hardly find anyone to help him pen them either because they would fight the horses and most of them had horns and you knew if you helped that man pen his cows you might get your horse gored. it got to where he had to keep extra horses for people to ride if he got help with his cattle. down in the south you just can't beat a brangus or tigerstripe cow for a momma.

Brahmas are athletic and don;t take to being cowboyed. Same goes for those that have a significant Brahman influence. If they are worked slow and easy they generally are calmer then most breed except Herefords. Roil them up one time and you'll have a continuing circus. They're harder to work at the bginning until the ralize that it's a process that won;t get them hurt. After they get used to being handled quaietly the can become a curse because they're so calm and tame. They also seem to remember for one experience to another. All breeds have their nutcases, but properly worked Brahmans are pussycats. Get them spun up and you'll never get them into that situation again.

dun

Oldtimer":2f4fvaih said:

I run braford cattle. I've never had a Braford momma that wouldn't just about eat right out of your hand. On a sidenote, every time I buy replacement heifers they start out pretty rambunctious and settle with age and calving. I ran a few Brangus some time ago and seemed like every one of them had plenty of fight in it. Letting them get wild in the pens is something they don't forget so quickly either. I try to keep the excitement to a minimum when we work them, and they get better with age.

I personally breed several Brahman (bos Indicus) influence breeds and is normal to have one or two nutcases but think that every breed has them, with the only Brahman influence animals that I really have trouble to work in the shut are with two Canchim (Brazilian Charbray) bulls. They are as docile as a pet on open range and even inside the corral but as soon they are inside the shut their temperaments begins to turn wild and the more time it takes to work them the wilder they become till they are as devil as Satan.

Why do I still keep them? because they bred cows as if they were one Jersey bulls

Latest posts