BrahmanX?

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
P1000489.jpg
[/img]
I call this cow a Brahman, but of course she is crossed with something, I don't know what. I bought her as a yearling. Her first two calves were out of a black angus bull. The first a smokie, the second black. The smokie, I retained and bred to another black angus bull. The calf from that crossing was pure white with black skin pigmentation. Her third calf(the one in the pic) was from a RA bull. She really does a fine job as a momma cow whatever her parentage. The red calf is a steer born February, if I remember right, and will probably go to the sale next month.

She looks to me like a longhorn cross. I bought a cow similar looking to her and she went back to the sale two days later. :lol:

Don't get me wrong. I like those country cows. I need to post a pic of ours. She is the only cow remaining from about 25 that a guy bought for my dad. MOst of them were gone in a year. :roll:

From what I can see of her dewlap, hip structure and head she carries a very high percentage of Brahman blood, approaching 100%.

Jogeephus, their temperaments are docile, easy handling. However, when that cow had her first calf , the calf got on the other side of a 3 strand barbed wire fence in some scrub oak woods. The cow then jumped the barbed wire to be with calf. I made a gap in the fence to drive them back in. After driving them 300 ft. or so to the gap they stopped right at the entrance. I was switching the cow on the back with a dog fennel or something when she turned and charged from about 6 ft out. Put her head in my belly, knocked me flat of my back
(I weigh 260) and she just stood there. Well, needless to say I gave her some distance and let the two go through the gap at their leisure. Haven't had a problem with her since. I do give her plenty of space when she has a newborn.

Ruby, the reason I say she's crossed is she doen't have the typical brahman ear(not apparent in the pic). And her calves out of angus bulls have ordinary ears. But you're right, she does look brahman otherwise.

Possibly she is one of the other Zebu breeds? Im thinking she looks more like a Nelore. She seems to have all of those characteristics except for the ear. Nelore are exactly that. Everything but the ear.

You could be right Txcountryboy. She's a good cow as I said before, and I don't hold it against her that she knocked me down. After all, I was crowding her while she was protecting a day old calf.

I was thinking Nelore also. Get us a picture of her a good side view without any obstructions.

ga. prime":35eh96o5 said:
You could be right Txcountryboy. She's a good cow as I said before, and I don't hold it against her that she knocked me down. After all, I was crowding her while she was protecting a day old calf.

P1000579.jpg

P1000575.jpg

P1000569.jpg

Nelore?? Pics taken this morning. All the other cows are seeking shade while she snoozes in the sun. 8)

Ruby, after reading through your posted link, I'd have to say she is high percentage Nelore. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts