Brahmans......

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady":1aa8792n said:
Good grief ya'll! I can tag mine while mom is licking my head! :cowboy:

LOL! Actually this was my attempt at humor...my wife and her camera just happened to catch this cow with her mouth open looking like a doberman. Reality is that she is one of the more docile of my herd of brammers...I tagged her calf while standing against her side, no problem. They are not all that easy!

novatech":15d4362k said:
Yep. Not to bad with a helper and an old ranch truck.
Drive the truck in between the calf a cow. Have the helper jump out and grab the calf and put it in the cab. Put tag on while hauling tail across the pasture. Return calf as near as possible to mom. I must emphasize old truck. This will only work the day they are born or before the calf gets to fast.

LMAO. You forgot to mention the gag. Gentle ones go nuts if their calf bawls.

Yesterday your were scratching her back. Today she has a calf, an attitude, and deed to the pasture that says it is hers.

backhoeboogie":j257rkr4 said:
Yesterday your were scratching her back. Today she has a calf, an attitude, and deed to the pasture that says it is hers.

Oh.... that's good! I'm printing that up on a giant sign. :clap:

ToddFarmsInc":18us89d6 said:
novatech":18us89d6 said:
...Yep. Not to bad with a helper and an old ranch truck.
Drive the truck in between the calf a cow. Have the helper jump out and grab the calf and put it in the cab. Put tag on while hauling tail across the pasture. Return calf as near as possible to mom. I must emphasize old truck. This will only work the day they are born or before the calf gets to fast.

OMG.... LOL :lol2:

I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one who does this. Only I don't have a "helper". I just drive along side of a really spry calf sometimes, (if the cow is extreamly irratable) get the truck between the calf and cow, and then open the drivers door, reach out grab the calf, pull it inside on my lap and then take off, with cow following in hot pursuit! I can outrun the cow after a few yards. Then I can put the calf in the back of the truck, and give it a good going over, with moma watching and bellering outside the truck. So far I haven't had one climb into the back of the truck with me. (knock on wood) :banana:
brother inlaw had a grey brahman cow turn his D50 mini truck in too scrap metal. taking her baby to the barn. she even jumped up on the hood

Yea, BHB. I got beat up pretty good as well when I referred to a "Tigerstrip" animal. And some of the school teachers beat up CB when he referred to "Brimmers".

I knew what folks were talking about when the said "Brimmers" or "brahma's". I was surprised when folks jumped on me about "Tigerstrip". I suppose other crosses may produce the same results but a cross between "Brahman" and Hereford will produce a "Tigerstripped" looking animal. I used to have a lot of them and they sold pretty well at the sale barn.

Earl Thigpen":1n77pdif said:
Yea, BHB. I got beat up pretty good as well when I referred to a "Tigerstrip" animal. And some of the school teachers beat up CB when he referred to "Brimmers".

It is probably just old school.

I am pretty sure Third Row is referring to me in that green horn statement. Either that or, "You aint from around these parts are ya?" :D

So now I know. "Tigerstripe" is acceptable. Just not a term I use or have been around. We had our own name for them at times too. One of grandaddy's F-1s nearly took the top out of a cattle trailer back in the 60's. She had always been calm in the pasture.

Earl Thigpen":gd9mawjq said:

I knew what folks were talking about when the said "Brimmers" or "brahma's". I was surprised when folks jumped on me about "Tigerstrip". I suppose other crosses may produce the same results but a cross between "Brahman" and Hereford will produce a "Tigerstripped" looking animal. I used to have a lot of them and they sold pretty well at the sale barn.
They may come out red/white face or chocolate with red also. I have seen a few other variations too.

ALACOWMAN":2e7eueyy said:
Brute 23":2e7eueyy said:
Ya, Brahman cattle can get some good horns on them. Pretty good curl.

Any one seen them where they de-horn then sew them back up. Makes for some slick looking cattle.
yep cosmetic dehorning
Most of the time scoops come out looking the same way. The trick is to take at least an 1/8 inch of skin with the horn. That part is kind of like the cuticle on your finger nail. The only time I would go through the expense of cosmetic is for show stock.

We "cosmetically" dehorn all the Brahmans, even if we don't show them. Makes for a better looking animal, and is really easier on them than trying to burn or scoop them. The horn base is so much bigger on a Brahman, it makes it more challenging. For cosmetic dehorning, the vet will numb the head, so it's less stressful as well. That way they don't want to kill you for three months after the proceedure. ;-)

Here in Australia they are called Brah-Man. We don't call a Brahman cross animal a "tigerstripe" they are called "Brindle" that goes for any cross animal that looks like a brindle or tigerstripe. A jersey cross hereford can be a brindle too, I've seen some Brangus with a stripe in them.
Colin

Latest posts