Brahmans......

Help Support CattleToday:

K2011

Reaction score
I've heard Brahman pronounced in two ways......brahMEN....and the other sounds like brAMER does it really matter which way it is pronouced...I mean is there an actual certain way to say it? Which way do you say it?

Im from the south and southern people need to have their on dictionary on everything.

My pronunciation is Bramam

"Im not speaking for southerner's because you'll get probally fifty other pronunciation's" :D

I have heard it all kinds of ways but mostly Brammer or Bramma. It is generally used to describe pure ones.

For cows with bramma influence we just call them eared. More specifically they are referred to as "half ear" or "quarter ear" to describe the level of influence.

It's a regional thing like catsup - ketchup, bleeding heart liberal - democrat, etc.

This is a problem I've been dealing with for the last 20 odd years. I live in the south and raise registered red Brahmans. I pronounce it Brah-man which is the way most people north of here pronounce it. In dealing with people south of Arkansas especially in Texas I hear braymer often used. In fact, in speaking to these people I often slip into using braymer rather than making it sound like we are talking about different breeds. It's all about communication.

I got pretty beat up over the "tigerstripe" versus "brindle" discussions on this forum. Never heard "tigerstripe" and still don't except for this forum.

Sumac is probably the worst of all. If you talk to ten different people, you are probably going to hear ten different variations.

I consider it all trivial. If someone says brimmer, I know exactly what they are referring to.

backhoeboogie":3kagdip1 said:
I got pretty beat up over the "tigerstripe" versus "brindle" discussions on this forum. Never heard "tigerstripe" and still don't except for this forum.

Sumac is probably the worst of all. If you talk to ten different people, you are probably going to hear ten different variations.

I consider it all trivial. If someone says brimmer, I know exactly what they are referring to.
aint that a fact...when i first brought my heifers home years ago,, folks around thought they were camels. they were traffic stoppers :lol:

Thanks for all the replies.....I say Bramer.....but I wasn't sure if there was a correct way to say it

K2011":1sf7l90d said:
Thanks for all the replies.....I say Bramer.....but I wasn't sure if there was a correct way to say it

When I drop them off at the sale barn, I don't care what they call them.

If I am buying them, I will call them what I want to :D Sometimes they get terrible names when they hit the pasture.

Yep....around here everyone calls them Tigerstripes......some even refer to some dogs as Tigerstripes :lol: seriously though

Latest posts