Brahmans

Help Support CattleToday:

stewart

Reaction score
Anybody know anyone selling brahmans around the Nashville Tn area? Thanks alot.
Stewart

You might can find some, but I doubt very many. Your gonna have to go down south to get some brahmans.

might i ask why you would want Brahmans in TN? it cant be for the heat tolerance and they are going to be docked pretty heavily at the sale barn.

not even Brangus.

Aero":31s422vk said:
might i ask why you would want Brahmans in TN? it cant be for the heat tolerance and they are going to be docked pretty heavily at the sale barn.

not even Brangus.

;-) Glenwood, Arkansas is not much south of Nashville, TN.

Glenwood, AR Jimmy Brown 870/356-3182 Sale Thursdays at 12:00 Noon

Weighted Average Report for 08/24/2006

Receipts: 1069 Last Week: 733 Year Ago: 658

Compared to last week: Slaughter cows 2.00-3.00 lower. Slaughter bulls 3.00
lower. Feeder steers steady to 3.00 higher, most bull calves 3.00-5.00 higher.
Feeder heifers generally steady.
Supply included 700 feeder calves, 70 yearlings; 142 replacement or feeder
cows; 150 slaughter cows; 7 slaughter bulls; 0 replacement bulls. Feeder supply
15 percent English breed and English breed crosses; 35 percent exotic breed and
exotic crosses; ;-) 50 percent Brahma and Brahma crosses
; 0 percent Holsteins or
other dairy breeds. Feeder supply about 60 percent steers and bulls, 40 percent
heifers. Prices follow with weighted average price in parenthesis.

my personal feeling is above the alabama state line is too far north for pure brahman cattle to trive well without extra attention. and with that extra attention means more money invested in the animal and getting docked at the barn dont sound like a money making venture to me.

Why is it in the US cattle with Brahman, or crossed with them make less money than British breeds etc? I often hear posters on the board saying that Brahman derived breeds are "docked at the barn" If that comment was made in Australia it would mean that "your dog had his tail cut off in the shed" Seems to me buyers can't pick a good animal from a bad one. A good animal should sell the same as any other. In Australia a good line of Brahman or Brahman cross cattle usually will sell as well in Tasmania as they do in North Queensland. There might only be a price reduction if a pack of Angus enthusiasts are there. Heaven forbid.I would prefer to buy a nice line of soft well fleshed Brahman / Hereford than a line of woolly Angus any day.
Colin

There are breeders in Murfreesboro, Woodbury, Charleston, Baxter, a couple close to Fayetteville, and several I don't know about

Colin,

Unfortunately they are "docked" here at the sale barns because they can be! Like rat tailed calves.. it's an excuse for a buyer to pay less, and make more money. Brahman influenced cattle have always had the misconception that they are dark cutters, tough meat, and not marbled. Until ABBA gets it's nose out of the big breeders butts, we'll have trouble dispelling that myth. Which is a good reason for Brahman influenced breeders to feed out or retain ownership of their cattle... so they get paid for how well the carcass actually is, instead of how someone perceives it will be.

It doesn't seem that Australian buyers on the whole have the same misconception about Brahman meat quality. Thanks for the excellent response. Our ABBA seem pretty good as far as not siding with the "Big Breeders" they used to but now we have about 3,000 registered herds in Australia and the majority would only be small. Many with lots of money behind them.
Colin

Australian Cattleman":36xqmqdf said:
Why is it in the US cattle with Brahman, or crossed with them make less money than British breeds etc? I often hear posters on the board saying that Brahman derived breeds are "docked at the barn" If that comment was made in Australia it would mean that "your dog had his tail cut off in the shed" Seems to me buyers can't pick a good animal from a bad one. A good animal should sell the same as any other. In Australia a good line of Brahman or Brahman cross cattle usually will sell as well in Tasmania as they do in North Queensland. There might only be a price reduction if a pack of Angus enthusiasts are there. Heaven forbid.I would prefer to buy a nice line of soft well fleshed Brahman / Hereford than a line of woolly Angus any day.
Colin

Thats because you have not been blinded by black. Goebbels, Ley, Göring, and Streicher didn't have as good of a propaganda line.

I live in ky but i had brain surgery 3weeks ago at vanderbuilt in nashville i have to go there once sometimes twice a week for treatments and the owner of my local feed store was asking me if i had seen any he was wanting some i did not ask why.

Thanks for everybodys replys. Stewart.

Yes, as the story goes, Brahman cross cattle make great mammas but sorry feeders. Another reason earred cattle get docked is that the northern feedlots want some hair on their feeders. It is no big deal if they are going to Sam Kanes in Corpus Christi but if they are going to Amarillo or Kansas it make since for them to have a winter coat. They certainly have their place but it is not in Tenn.

Tennessee has some pretty hot wheather to and the brahmans around here have some pretty good winter coats. It doesn't really get that cold unless you are in the mts. Lots of humid wheather here that makes it fill hotter than it does it Texas and in Arizona. the brahman cross cattle grow off so big the it really doesn't matter if they get docked a nickel you will still make more money.

Yes, I agree more pounds equals more money even if the price per pound is a little lower. The key is crossbreeding and keeping the amount of Brahman 25 percent or less in the end product. If Tenn is hotter than Texas then I may have to agree with Al Gore about Global warming. :lol:

Latest posts