Brahman

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian

Reaction score
Northern New England Region, Tenterfield NSW Austr
This is a 7 month old heifer by our own bred sire. Her mother is full Australian breeding. This calf's sire's grandfather was a MSH bull from the US.
DSC00115.jpg

At a gues she'd would have been about 400kgs. She is a sweet heifer. Her mother is beautiful. Her mum calved early this morning to the same sire another heifer. When old enough she will be joined to a grey full Australian sire. I do have a few straws of a bull called JDH Casa Grande who has produced well over here for other Australians. I want to start an old Australian bloodline nucleus if I can.

Very nice heifer. Looks a lot like her mom. I especially like the tit size and udder on the mom.
Who is MSH in the US. I am not familiar with them?

Have 1,000 acres. have about 300 breeders. This is made up of about 50 pure Brahman registered. 90% red the rest grey. 75 South Devon registered breeders. The other 175 breeders are Hereford,black baldy,South Brahvon and varying Brahman crosses. We have two registered herds the rest are commercial. We keep about 40 heifers a year ( depending on the season and quality) We keep about 10 Brahman bulls and about 3 South Devon and sometimes one or two South Brahvon bulls. The market for South Devon is scanty (only love of the breed that keeps me with them) Brahmans are more marketable even in this more British type area. I sell most of our bulls to outside our area to the warmer areas to our east and west. ( we are up in the mountains )
Colin

I love those Red Brahmans. Gotta have some colour in em, they just look so much better to me than the greys. Up around my uncle's place (north of cardwell) there is nothing but greys & it gets boring fast.

We run a commercial charbray herd and I love the colour variations you get with them. Pity they are trying to move the breed away from the darker colours. We have a number of heifers with red brahman sires that look fantastic.

marimus":o5u288bi said:
I love those Red Brahmans. Gotta have some colour in em, they just look so much better to me than the greys. Up around my uncle's place (north of cardwell) there is nothing but greys & it gets boring fast.

We run a commercial charbray herd and I love the colour variations you get with them. Pity they are trying to move the breed away from the darker colours. We have a number of heifers with red brahman sires that look fantastic.

I generally like the reds better too. But I really do like the greys with dark points.

I guess working with Chars and Char X would cause you to appreciate some colour :lol:

This red cow was bucket reared by my wife. Her mother had her on a cold sleety afternoon and she got very cold then didn't get up to suckle hence the cows teats ballooned up and the calf didn't suck. This cow has not had a teat problem and has been a great breeder. She's not the best cow in the herd but amongst the quitest. She comes racing up the hill for a hug. This cows' mother had a little Sindhi breeding in her pedigree ,thats most probably why she was a bit bottle teated. The old cow I kept till she was 17. Never passed any problems onto offspring or she had no problem after the one incident.
DSC00120.jpg

Australian":2r52945t said:
Another heifer. Has been joined to our grey sire. She is by a grey bull out of a cow with red breeding.
DSC00058.jpg

I really like this heifer Colin- do you have a rear shot of her? Is she as good behind as she profiles?

I'm no student of bos indicus bloodlines so would really appreciate it if you might be able to enlighten us on the differences between the different strains and what their relative strengths and weaknesses are? In this thread have been mentioned sindhi and gyr strains... and Colin, what do you mean by Australian bloodlines (is this a reference to Cherokee/de Landelles and or others?) and how do what you refer to as Australian bloodlines fit in amongst the various strains? I've also heard terms Sahiwal, Nellore, Guzerat, Hudgins and generic Brahman and Zebu to describe bos indicus animals but don't really know what the differences might be. What strains besides Australian, whatever that might be, does your herd include and why?

Looking forward to the education.

Latest posts