Brahman

Help Support CattleToday:

AZAggie

Reaction score
My Brahman experiment is over. I took some Brahman/Angus cross calves to the sale Friday and got killed. Around here, if they aren't black or black baldies, they aren't worth your time.I was expecting to get docked some, but I got more for an old cow with a bad foot then I did for a 600 lb steer.

AZAggie":1tdxh7uf said:
My Brahman experiment is over. I took some Brahman/Angus cross calves to the sale Friday and got killed. Around here, if they aren't black or black baldies, they aren't worth your time.I was expecting to get docked some, but I got more for an old cow with a bad foot then I did for a 600 lb steer.

They would have averaged about 1.40 here.

http://www.easttexaslivestock.com/market-reports/

Unfortunately, you live far enough north that there was not enough other Brahman cross calves to put with them. Those calves would have been worth more here in East Texas. Did you save the heifer calves? They will make super mothers.

I'm keeping all of the heifers. We have a couple already and they have thrown really nice, big calves. This is the first time we've sold any number of steer or bull calves out of that Brahman. Luckily I only have one steer left from him. He's probably going to the butcher.

ALACOWMAN":1xdicbc4 said:
Where do those calves go from there??
I'm not sure. Probably to the TX panhandle. I'm almost exactly half way between Oklahoma City and Amarillo right on I-40.

We sold calves last week and got 1.88 on bulls #300-400, 1.58 on #450-500 bulls, 1.25 on heifers #650-750. They all had Brahman influence.

How much Brahman influence are we talking? Do you have any pics of the calves? I suspect the .90 had more to do with the quality of the animal than the breed.

AZAggie":27as9au3 said:
ALACOWMAN":27as9au3 said:
I'm not sure. Probably to the TX panhandle. I'm almost exactly half way between Oklahoma City and Amarillo right on I-40.
No doubt colder than a witches bosom there,in the winter months..hard for em to gain weight and shake like a wet dog...

Brute 23":3m5wwc80 said:
callmefence":3m5wwc80 said:
Got anymore you wanna sell.?

I'll take all his calves for 1.00 per lb. :D

Sold two 4 Wt Brimmer cross heifers today to the young man that works for me for 800 a piece. I had planned to keep and sell short bred.
That's about 50 over current barn price.

I worked for an outfit when I was fresh out of high school, ran a bunch of black cattle. Bought a bunch of Brangus bulls, turns out you can't use them here.

ALACOWMAN":3pgr4r0m said:

I would think it's more of a quality issue. Lots of folks in Oklahoma running Brahman operations.
Most here Cowman go to the panhandle or Greeley Co.
Here is last Tuesday price at Crockett the vast majority are Brahman cross calves headed to the same spot.
http://www.easttexaslivestock.com/market-reports/

Silver":kcscwkeu said:
I worked for an outfit when I was fresh out of high school, ran a bunch of black cattle. Bought a bunch of Brangus bulls, turns out you can't use them here.
No doubt... I bet your cattle"""as nice as they are""""wouldn't be the same animal down here

ALACOWMAN":19tgx21i said:
Silver":19tgx21i said:
No doubt... I bet your cattle"""as nice as they are""""wouldn't be the same animal down here

That's a fact

Reason we couldn't use them was the bulls froze a pretty essential part of their anatomy. We did get some females from them, and I thought they were a better beef animal than straight BA, although at that time temperament was an issue.

Latest posts