Brahman x Jersey F1 heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

BC

Reaction score
A friend sent me these pictures of some heifers that will sell Feb. 25 at the sale in Buffalo, TX. I sure wish I had room for some of them. Calf raising mamas. My grandfather had a set of these kind back in the 1950's.

Buffalo_1.jpg

Buffalo_2.jpg

Buffalo_3.jpg

I guess we'll both have to deal with questions why, but I'd love to have a field full.

Pretty girls
If those were at Crockett I know I would be in a seat with a trailer tomorrow in the parking lot.
The drive to Buffalo and back is pretty rough on this old man.

Caustic Burno":13hxp1wc said:
Pretty girls
If those were at Crockett I know I would be in a seat with a trailer tomorrow in the parking lot.
The drive to Buffalo and back is pretty rough on this old man.

They should be good. I've always been told that heterosis increases with greater differences between the breeds used, and you can't get much bigger differences than between Jersey and Brahman.

I once had a Jersey X Brahman steer. My Jersey got bred by a friend's Brahma, he was as good looking as those heifers. He grew like a weed. He didn't bring as much as his black peers, but he made up for it in weight. This was back around, 2003.

Those are some pretty heifers. Not what you see around my part of the country.

I had a few Brahman x Holstein cows about 30 years ago. I was breeding them to a Simmental bull. Their calves sure did mash down on the scales.

Shock of my life, that anybody besides me could get excited about that cross. A few years ago ( when dairies were prospering) I made the rounds, and offered to buy the semen, and by the steers and heifers alike off of that cross. All the Amish were interested in growing at the time, and dairy heifers were sky high, so I didn't get any nibbles.

Those are some pretty heifers. I wonder what bull breed would be the best cross for them? I'm thinking char.

I hate tell all you guys this but they aint no good
1) ears to long - to much ear :lol:
2) to much navel - not clean enough underneath :lol:
3) may have horns :frowns:
4) you would need 12' tall pens made out of railroad iron to hold them - just look at their eyes can't you tell they are wild :devil2:
5) They don't have any Char. in them - we know that is the only way to get any flesh on a cow. :clap:
6) they ain't black - we all know they have to be black - Angus or nothing :cowboy:
7) don't forget the dock you will get docked, docked, docked when you try to sell a calf out of them. :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:
8) what about trying to work them or their calves - you know they would try to kill you :bang:
I just wish I was close maybe I could take them off of the poor feller that raised them. We all know they will have a hard time getting any one to bid on that bunch of culls.

Latest posts