Brahman x Jersey F1 heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":32hlrr46 said:
Brute 23":32hlrr46 said:
That's normal prices for quality F1 Brahman crosses.

If you think that's high... try to go buy some straight Grey Brahman cattle.

You got that right
Some on here don't understand your buying a cow that will produce into her twenties
Not trying to be smart, but do you think she'll profit that much in her lifetime after inputs are paid?

Yes. I have said it time and time again that buyers will dock you for any thing they can. You can't control that. A good Brahman cross momma will beat what they dock you in low input costs.

It does not take 50 or 75% Brahman to gain the hardiness. A lot of people, including myself, like 1/4 Brahman or so. By the time you cut that with an Angus, Char, or Hertford bull... your going to auction with 1/8 Brahman.

Yep when your looking at 20 calves or more in her production life that will wean 20% heavier than a straight bred.
I hauled trailer loads of those girls during the drought that were in their mid twenties still producing a calf every 12 months still had good BCS,teeth and udder.

I just don't see the steers being docked . You put a angus bull on her and the calves will be black with just a touch of ear . Not even enough to hurt expecially since they are gonna be sold in Texas. Those cows will last alot longer than most in the environment they will be run in ..no reason to keep arguing whether they are good or not . Breeds are a product of their environment. U put some pure bred Angus or hereford down here and they would Melt.

Then why do our feeders draw a premium heading to the feedlot.
Those sorry 4wts averaged a 1.70 this week.

The market report I looked at for Crockett TX said 400-500 lb steers brought an average of 1.45 with a high of 1.70.

400-500 lb steers in Fort Pierre, South Dakota last week brought 1.72 on the average, and 5 weights brought 1.73 average.

Those northern high percentage angus calves will outsell anything else in the US on a fairly consistent basis.

Ojp6":259j9iw6 said:

The market report I looked at for Crockett TX said 400-500 lb steers brought an average of 1.45 with a high of 1.70.

400-500 lb steers in Fort Pierre, South Dakota last week brought 1.72 on the average, and 5 weights brought 1.73 average.

Those northern high percentage angus calves will outsell anything else in the US on a fairly consistent basis.

That's only 1/2 the story. Who has more input costs?

I didn't say anything about input costs. Having higher input costs doesn't necessarily make their calves worth more, having calves that will consistently gain and grade better than anybody else makes them worth more. I didn't say they made any more money than anybody else. I just said they have the calves that draw the biggest premiums.
High percentage Angus calves and Angus/Hereford feeder calves from that part of the country will consistently outsell any other calf in the country. Trucking on them wouldn't be more than 2 or 3 cents a lb different than it would be on a load of calves from your part of the country. Most of those calves in central SD will go a couple hundred miles to feed.

I've thought about those heifers 100 times today. I'm not against the ear at all. The majority of my herd has ear. I'm not doubting they will be very prolific for many years to come. I'm going to come right out, and say it. $2400 commercial heifers (prime f1 heifers or not), will not pay for them selves. 120 head at $1000 would have been a better buy than 50 of those at $2400.

If a man just wanted, because he liked em, and he could afford em, that's a whole other deal. I'm not knocking anybody that bought some. I'm just saying there are sounder financial decisions that could have been made. These weren't proven 4 year old 3 in one's. These were open heifers.

Ojp6":3l6phyh9 said:
I didn't say anything about input costs. Having higher input costs doesn't necessarily make their calves worth more, having calves that will consistently gain and grade better than anybody else makes them worth more. I didn't say they made any more money than anybody else. I just said they have the calves that draw the biggest premiums.
High percentage Angus calves and Angus/Hereford feeder calves from that part of the country will consistently outsell any other calf in the country. Trucking on them wouldn't be more than 2 or 3 cents a lb different than it would be on a load of calves from your part of the country. Most of those calves in central SD will go a couple hundred miles to feed.
Most sold here go to Greely Co.
I sit next to the buyer on most Saturdays

Ojp6, I will agree that those Dakota cattle are good. When you figure what Caustic's calves bring and the freight differential his 1/4 blood calves bring close to the Dakota calves. There is big difference in a couple of hundred miles and the 1033 miles from Livingston, TX (sale barn Caustic goes to on Saturdays) and Greely, Co. We figure it takes $3.75 to $4 per cwt. in freight to go from here in Northeast Texas (Canton) to Amarillo (425 miles). Those yearlings leaving Livingston to Greely will have an additional $8.60 to $9 per cwt in freight.

BC":1ktckuc7 said:
Ojp6, I will agree that those Dakota cattle are good. When you figure what Caustic's calves bring and the freight differential his 1/4 blood calves bring close to the Dakota calves. There is big difference in a couple of hundred miles and the 1033 miles from Livingston, TX (sale barn Caustic goes to on Saturdays) and Greely, Co. We figure it takes $3.75 to $4 per cwt. in freight to go from here in Northeast Texas (Canton) to Amarillo (425 miles). Those yearlings leaving Livingston to Greely will have an additional $8.60 to $9 per cwt in freight.

Good info freight is a killer for our eastern friends still trying to do this.
Seven out of ten of the big feedlots are located in the Midwest that makes sense that is where the corn is grown.
There is a big one in Arizona and Idaho or Montana

Kill cows here most go to Lone Star I think they are still in San Antonio.
We have buyers for Amarillo as well.
The only other feeder operation left of any size is in Devine I guess there serving South Texas.

Brute 23":ma2bnwh7 said:
Ojp6":ma2bnwh7 said:

That's only 1/2 the story. Who has more input costs?

It's apparent it cost more to raise hay in Texas, and without fescue we can't compete. Southern cattle have a lot of expenses in fertilizer alone.

TG I be the first to admit our grasses are not as good as our northern neighbors. Fertilized Bahia will yield 4 to 5 rolls per acre not two to three.
Our advantage is we can start cutting
May through October some years April .
Coastal here will yield 8 to 10 if you can afford the chemicals to keep the Bahia out.

Caustic Burno":31v01f04 said:
TG I be the first to admit our grasses are not as good as our northern neighbors. Fertilized Bahia will yield 4 to 5 rolls per acre not two to three.
Coastal here will yield 8 to 10 if you can afford the chemicals to keep the Bahia out.

...or into November if it's kleingrass. I've needed to wear a jacket raking hay a few times.

Rafter S":2blyseda said:
Caustic Burno":2blyseda said:

...or into November if it's kleingrass. I've needed to wear a jacket raking hay a few times.

You could take in shorts and a T-shirt now lol.

Lazy M":3o0l6ejg said:
Those are some pretty heifers. I wonder what bull breed would be the best cross for them? I'm thinking char.
A Huge BW Charolais, you know one of them heifer killer will do wonders on these, they have easy calving written all of over them.. :cboy:

gaurus":3etcxlvu said:
Lazy M":3etcxlvu said:
Those are some pretty heifers. I wonder what bull breed would be the best cross for them? I'm thinking char.
A Huge BW Charolais, you know one of them heifer killer will do wonders on these, they have easy calving written all of over them.. :cboy:

Where do think those huge BW came from in Char over English cattle.
It was all the Brahman in the foundation herd of the Char association the only two breeds allowed were Brahman and Char in there breed up program.
English over Brahman reduces BW
Brahman over English increases BW.

Caustic Burno":18rutn5x said:
It was all the Brahman in the foundation herd of the Char association the only two breeds allowed were Brahman and Char in there breed up program.
English over Brahman reduces BW
Brahman over English increases BW.
Brahman and Jersey cattle are known for small birth weight, no matter what you breed to them and while I know that while Brahman bull over English cows will increase calving difficulties in heifers, that is not the case with Jersey heifers, you would think a dairy farmer breeding heifers with Huge Brahman bulls has lost his mind due to perceived high % of dystocia a cross like that would produce, but that is the far from truth, the cross is a very sound cross and the heifers has no more issues than with any other bulls.

Caustic Burno":2nwcj5m1 said:
gaurus":2nwcj5m1 said:
Lazy M":2nwcj5m1 said:

:shock: pretty sure it's misinformation you gave out. Brahman isn't the only one breed in the woodpile of Charolais

Latest posts