Brahman x Jersey F1 heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT":3w335ctf said:
WalnutCrest":3w335ctf said:
To run commercially, 1250.

To use as recips next year after any that wouldn't breed up feel out of the program and got eaten, 1750.
I have read in several threads on this site people using cow with Brahman influence as recip cows wonder why that is??

My guess would be their heat tolerance. Since long stretches of hot weather can negatively impact conception, a little brahman influence in the recip may work to advantage. When spending the money on ET work, they are looking for a cow that can settle easily and carry the pregnancy to term.

I am glad that they work in the environment that lots of you have. But around here they would bring about 70 cents a pound. Jersey and Brahman are the two very bottom dollar breeds here. A cross between them would be a loser. Their calves may mash down the scale but the freight bill getting them to an area where they would bring decent money would eat you alive.

Boot Jack Bulls":38bzod3m said:
BRYANT":38bzod3m said:
WalnutCrest":38bzod3m said:

To use as recips next year after any that wouldn't breed up feel out of the program and got eaten, 1750.
I have read in several threads on this site people using cow with Brahman influence as recip cows wonder why that is??

My guess would be their heat tolerance. Since long stretches of hot weather can negatively impact conception, a little brahman influence in the recip may work to advantage. When spending the money on ET work, they are looking for a cow that can settle easily and carry the pregnancy to term.
I never knew, that's something I don't know anything about. I thought it might have something to do with their milking ability. I have been in Honduras and seen them milk them like we do Holsteins.

Dave":2qesrbtq said:
I am glad that they work in the environment that lots of you have. But around here they would bring about 70 cents a pound. Jersey and Brahman are the two very bottom dollar breeds here. A cross between them would be a loser. Their calves may mash down the scale but the freight bill getting them to an area where they would bring decent money would eat you alive.

That's kind of my problem with them. Your kind of going to an odd ball breed that may or may not be adapted to your weather. If you go to a Hereford or Angus bull raised here in the south you kind of know what you got. A jersey doesn't seem like a fleshy animal that really packs the pounds. You should not have to add jersey blood for milking. Brahman, Hereford, and Angus all provide good milk and are a lot more well known for beef.

Boot Jack Bulls":2139qlt3 said:
BRYANT":2139qlt3 said:
WalnutCrest":2139qlt3 said:

Heat tolerance = (in part) not black

The traits of these two breeds can really compliment each other quite nicely (as long as one makes smart choices from each contributing breed). Jersey's are one of the hardier dairy breeds and Brahman cattle can go and go and go.

I'm considering making some Aubrac x Jersey calves (steers for specialty beef and heifers for commercial cows / recips). Similar idea as the Brahman/Jersey, except they should be more moderately framed, earlier maturing and better beef.

It's funny that everyone thinks all black cows can't handle the heat. My brangus cows will be grazing while my neighbors yellow and red cows are standing in the pond. Most of the time they lay under the oak trees in the heat of the day and graze at night. I wouldn't call that not heat tolerant . I'd call that smart.

JSCATTLE":32jbpb2n said:
It's funny that everyone thinks all black cows can't handle the heat. My brangus cows will be grazing while my neighbors yellow and red cows are standing in the pond. Most of the time they lay under the oak trees in the heat of the day and graze at night. I wouldn't call that not heat tolerant . I'd call that smart.

I agree. I see the same thing. I love some Black, F1, Brahman X Angus cows.... :nod:

Brute 23":2r8ktjnu said:
JSCATTLE":2r8ktjnu said:

I agree. I see the same thing. I love some Black, F1, Brahman X Angus cows.... :nod:

just my :2cents: :2cents: I think what you are saying may be right BUT both of you are referring to Brahman cross cattle, is it not true that their ears help them cool and hair is not as thick. there was a story ,I think on this site, about feedlots having trouble with black cattle and the heat because they could not take it. I guess about every black cow I ever owned was a cross with Brahman other than my bull and I think the heat effects him more than the other cows. A lot of them cows maybe standing in the ponds trying to help with the flies, I don't know I can't figure out why cows do what cows do. But I do know my Angus bull has a lot more flies than the Brahman cattle do

I had a very large dairy customer that bought some jersey heifers that, unbeknownst to him, had been bred by a brimmer bull. He told his workers that every heifer was a keeper and the "best" bulls were cleanup right about the time I went to work for him so two half blood heifers and one bull got to reproduce(since his workers all came from Mexico and got to pick what "best" meant). He was a customer of mine for just shy of fifteen years and when I handed his business and the 8,800 head milking 95% AI that went with it to someone else both of the half blood cows were still on the place and the bull put quite a few 3/4 daughters out there and they were all pretty good cows. The production was average but health traits made them standouts. I don't think any of them knew where the hospital pen was and that held up in the grand daughters.

BRYANT":1tzpd8t7 said:
Brute 23":1tzpd8t7 said:
JSCATTLE":1tzpd8t7 said:

just my :2cents: :2cents: I think what you are saying may be right BUT both of you are referring to Brahman cross cattle, is it not true that their ears help them cool and hair is not as thick. there was a story ,I think on this site, about feedlots having trouble with black cattle and the heat because they could not take it. I guess about every black cow I ever owned was a cross with Brahman other than my bull and I think the heat effects him more than the other cows. A lot of them cows maybe standing in the ponds trying to help with the flies, I don't know I can't figure out why cows do what cows do. But I do know my Angus bull has a lot more flies than the Brahman cattle do
Yes you could call my cows slick. Little hair over a inch long. I have a few Angus and hereford that look like colored cotton balls. Black cows definitely attract more flies.

They make great mommas. I got a buddy who has about 50 of them. He was poor and couldn't afford much so needed something cheap. A neighbor was breeding Brahma heifers to a jersey bull for the first calf. The guy didn't really care about those calves so he sold the heifer calves to my buddy dirt cheap cheaper than Longhorns. He raised them up and started with a Hereford bull but now is using a Char bull on them. They are money makers.

All we hear on here ,from some people, is what they call ''GETTING DOCKED'' for cattle with Brahman in them I wonder what they will say about this. I have said before a good Brahman cross heifer will more than make up for the so called dock on the steers. I say someone would call it ''making money''
great cattle for the right environment

JSCATTLE":yk2geqbl said:
BRYANT":yk2geqbl said:
Brute 23":yk2geqbl said:

Yes you could call my cows slick. Little hair over a inch long. I have a few Angus and hereford that look like colored cotton balls. Black cows definitely attract more flies.
An old man told me that black hides are thinner, and flies have an easier time biting thru them. The old man's nephew had a few national champion Simmi bulls, and nephew said Uncle forgot more about cattle than he'll ever know.

Clodhopper":btupbp6a said:
JSCATTLE":btupbp6a said:
BRYANT":btupbp6a said:
An old man told me that black hides are thinner, and flies have an easier time biting thru them. The old man's nephew had a few national champion Simmi bulls, and nephew said Uncle forgot more about cattle than he'll ever know.

I don't buy that because a black bull will have more flies than a black cow. And I know a bull hide is twice as thick as a cows hide.

Latest posts