Brahman x Holstein Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

cathill":304etk3v said:
Alacowman,
I've only had her here a little over a week but she settled in quietly right off. She will join my American Brahman heifer and her first calf in another week or so. I like to keep them up long enough for them to know where home is and who I am. I had not considered a Holstein cross for her but they sure make nice looking calves.

Here is my American type Brahman, she's snow white in the summer but puts on a pretty good coat in the winter that's dark grey. Here is Babe and her calf.

Septtemps093.jpg

09April2012010.jpg

09April2012004.jpg

09April2012BabeCalfWeekOld.jpg

I really like this calf but would love to find a Gyr or Indo type bull for these cows at some point.
be careful selecting one, they tend to have horrible udders and tits on the indo ... personaly id go with a beefy grey bull, their a little heavier boned to

Alacowman,
If I use a beefy Brahman type bull, will I still get much type? ears? hump? I'm breeding both cows to beef type bulls now, my son is hoping for some heifers next year. I'll breed them back the same unless I find a bull I really like and in the meantime, I'll be watching for more cows like Babe and Rose.
Thanks for the info on the udders. I had read that the Gyr and Indu were such good milkers though? That's confusing.

cathill":29ggzdtf said:
Alacowman,
If I use a beefy Brahman type bull, will I still get much type? ears? hump? I'm breeding both cows to beef type bulls now, my son is hoping for some heifers next year. I'll breed them back the same unless I find a bull I really like and in the meantime, I'll be watching for more cows like Babe and Rose.
Thanks for the info on the udders. I had read that the Gyr and Indu were such good milkers though? That's confusing.
their great milkers.... but it dont do the baby any good if it cant latch on to a big bottle tit....the type will be like the grey in the top picture eventually.. the long gyr ear you can associate with light boned, chicken butt type

You will still get considerably "type" ears, hump and of it with the Brahman bull back on her. Look around there is a lot of variation in the breed. I would def not ever put a holstein bull over those brahman cows. Straightbreed em thats where the $$ is

Massey135":mspkjvz4 said:
You will still get considerably "type" ears, hump and of it with the Brahman bull back on her. Look around there is a lot of variation in the breed. I would def not ever put a holstein bull over those brahman cows. Straightbreed em thats where the $$ is

If you look on sexing technologies facebook page they have a gallery of pictures from mexico. In it is a herd of white brahman cows that were AI'd with sexed Holstein semen. They have the most gorgeous F1 heifers you ever seen, and they are mostly black in color. I AI'd a Holstein heifer to Indu as well as a Brahma x Holstein cow.

I just did a quickie search for sexing technologies and there were several people who also popped up in the search that have it listed as where they are employed and one of the guys listed, I went to HS with in Kansas City! what a small world!
I'll look at the site further later, gotta get some sleep, surgeries start early tomorrow

Massey135,
The issue is finding a good bull of their type to breed to my Brahman type cows. Not a lot of them, especially colorful Indu type here in Missouri. I've been told totally opposite stories by everyone, either they are worthless because they are Brahman or they're the best thing ever and worth their weight.....lol. Hardly anything is said about Brahman and their crosses that is middle of the road. Seems they are either really loved or really disliked so I figure either way I breed is Super terrific and horrible at the same time, lol. I Love the type but I'll probably take these 2 cows both directions over time. For now, they will be bred to my son's bulls. I'll continue to watch locally for a good bull calf for them, hoping for lots of color, long ears, good Indu type or Gir. I don't have any reason to conform. No one is really going to care what I produce since I have only the 2 cows. If I'm lucky and have heifers, I'll be keeping any of them that are more exotic and work on developing the type.

Spotted Brahma":yxqa0fi9 said:
Massey135":yxqa0fi9 said:

If you look on sexing technologies facebook page they have a gallery of pictures from mexico. In it is a herd of white brahman cows that were AI'd with sexed Holstein semen. They have the most gorgeous F1 heifers you ever seen, and they are mostly black in color. I AI'd a Holstein heifer to Indu as well as a Brahma x Holstein cow.

My only concern was the birthweight of the calf using a Holstein Bull. Not to say Brahman over holstein is any better than Holstein over brahman. The dairyman across the road from our lease in Sulphur Springs, Yancey, always has some newborns gettin under the fence. Ill stop by and push them back under for him. The last time I stopped by he said, "I gotta show you this one- born last night"- sucker weighted 154lbs and was thigh high. I ask him why he was using those kind of genetics and he said, "those are the kind that milk"- point being, dairyman haven't selected for bw like they should because milk production is their (only) priority. BW have long been overlooked in dairy cattle and thats what causes my concern with using a dairy breed bull- other than Jersey.
I had a handfull of the brahma x holstein mix that I raised as bottle calves. They were great cows and were marked like a black holstein with white points- the star on their forhead, white udder, and tail switch. The only thing I hated was breed them to an Angus bull--- and see if you don't get some spotting back. I had calves that looked just like beef type spotted holsteins-- Some more white than black! The Char bull back over them solved that problem and the calves grew better too. The last thing you wanna do is have a calf that doesn't have the genetics to utilized all the milk his momma can give... Such a waste.

cathill":yxqa0fi9 said:
Massey135,
The issue is finding a good bull of their type to breed to my Brahman type cows. Not a lot of them, especially colorful Indu type here in Missouri. I've been told totally opposite stories by everyone, either they are worthless because they are Brahman or they're the best thing ever and worth their weight.....lol. Hardly anything is said about Brahman and their crosses that is middle of the road. Seems they are either really loved or really disliked so I figure either way I breed is Super terrific and horrible at the same time, lol. I Love the type but I'll probably take these 2 cows both directions over time. For now, they will be bred to my son's bulls. I'll continue to watch locally for a good bull calf for them, hoping for lots of color, long ears, good Indu type or Gir. I don't have any reason to conform. No one is really going to care what I produce since I have only the 2 cows. If I'm lucky and have heifers, I'll be keeping any of them that are more exotic and work on developing the type.

Cathill, REST EASY! No one questions the performance of brahman cattle. The only naysayers are those who don't like the brahmans because of their looks. Their maternal qualities are unmatched. They milk heavily, theyre fertile, LONGEVITY, and they'll protect their baby till the second its time to wean them. There are some bloodlines that are pretty flat sided and don't have the capacity to consume enough low quality forage to put on excess flesh, but these lines have been much bred out (of the American Brahman). This is the problem you will experience with the non improved indu breeds; that and poor udders.

Id like to see a Santa Gert bull over those Indu cows. You will still retain considerably brahman type but will also pick up some much needed fleshing ability and beef type characteristics.

Massey135":34wphlsi said:
Spotted Brahma":34wphlsi said:
Massey135":34wphlsi said:

My only concern was the birthweight of the calf using a Holstein Bull. Not to say Brahman over holstein is any better than Holstein over brahman. The dairyman across the road from our lease in Sulphur Springs, Yancey, always has some newborns gettin under the fence. Ill stop by and push them back under for him. The last time I stopped by he said, "I gotta show you this one- born last night"- sucker weighted 154lbs and was thigh high. I ask him why he was using those kind of genetics and he said, "those are the kind that milk"- point being, dairyman haven't selected for bw like they should because milk production is their (only) priority. BW have long been overlooked in dairy cattle and thats what causes my concern with using a dairy breed bull- other than Jersey.
I had a handfull of the brahma x holstein mix that I raised as bottle calves. They were great cows and were marked like a black holstein with white points- the star on their forhead, white udder, and tail switch. The only thing I hated was breed them to an Angus bull--- and see if you don't get some spotting back. I had calves that looked just like beef type spotted holsteins-- Some more white than black! The Char bull back over them solved that problem and the calves grew better too. The last thing you wanna do is have a calf that doesn't have the genetics to utilized all the milk his momma can give... Such a waste.

cathill":34wphlsi said:
Massey135,

Cathill, REST EASY! No one questions the performance of brahman cattle. The only naysayers are those who don't like the brahmans because of their looks. Their maternal qualities are unmatched. They milk heavily, theyre fertile, LONGEVITY, and they'll protect their baby till the second its time to wean them. There are some bloodlines that are pretty flat sided and don't have the capacity to consume enough low quality forage to put on excess flesh, but these lines have been much bred out (of the American Brahman). This is the problem you will experience with the non improved indu breeds; that and poor udders.

Id like to see a Santa Gert bull over those Indu cows. You will still retain considerably brahman type but will also pick up some much needed fleshing ability and beef type characteristics.
mine musta went over and above the call of duty then... they did every thing but ride to the stockyard with me

Here are some recent pictures, everything is growing up real nice.

564322_3514771960996_1622858935_2721148_1125365569_n.jpg

Red Brahman x Holstein

557222_3351667563488_1622858935_2652543_1359403748_n.jpg

Brahman x Holstein

548969_3367007546978_1622858935_2661590_748964823_n.jpg

Brahman x Holstein x Sardo Negro

529750_3514766360856_1622858935_2721146_639386463_n.jpg

Gir