Brahman x Brown Syiss/Braunvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

My hesitation with Charolais would be calving ease and BW until I knew what that hybrid vigor looked like.
Brahman adds a supercharger to the three way cross. I would want a couple calf crops before I left Angus or Hereford.
Other question does Hereford over Brown Swiss yield a dark calf like Hereford over Holstein.
The reason for the Hereford question is Hereford/ Brahman is the maximum hybrid cross for growth pounds.
Just to chime in...I used to go to church with a man that crossed Brown Swiss cows with Charbray bulls. Made some fine looking heifers. Sold them out of state so don't know how they turned out. That was 20 years ago though.

11 on the ground now, and one heifer! Figures! If I had told him I wanted to buy all of his bull calves, then he would have had 12 heifers! Even if the last one has a heifer calf this week, that won't be but two. When the mand fist started breeding his Brown swiss to Braunvieh, to get a little beefier bottle calf, he wanted a lot of steers, of course, But the cows had a majority heifers...that's where these came from that he bred to the Brahma bulls. I told him to ask his AI guy if that was sexed semen he used on these gals. Then again, most people cross with Brahma to get f1 cows, so seems like if it were sexed semen, it would be X semen for heifer calves.

Honestly, I don't see these heifers being any better than a Brahma x Braunvieh. Both Brahma and Braunvieh give plenty of milk for raising calves. I don't think it would be worth raising Brown Swiss x Braunvieh, just to get heifers to cross again with Brahma. Now, a situation like this...a Brown Swiss dairy that has used Braun bulls and had these BS x Braun crosses....yeah, that was a good move to breed those heifers to Brahma.

I don't think I will fool with these 1 or 2 heifers. I had told him I would buy them at weaning, and I assumed they would be 6 mos old. This week I found out he weans his bottle calves as soon as possible..like maybe 2 months old. Like most dairies do, I guess. This would mean getting them in Dec or Jan. 6-8 6 mos old heifers that I could send south or west made some sense. 1 or 2 two month old claves does not. Not for me, anyway.

11 on the ground now, and one heifer! Figures! If I had told him I wanted to buy all of his bull calves, then he would have had 12 heifers! Even if the last one has a heifer calf this week, that won't be but two. When the mand fist started breeding his Brown swiss to Braunvieh, to get a little beefier bottle calf, he wanted a lot of steers, of course, But the cows had a majority heifers...that's where these came from that he bred to the Brahma bulls. I told him to ask his AI guy if that was sexed semen he used on these gals. Then again, most people cross with Brahma to get f1 cows, so seems like if it were sexed semen, it would be X semen for heifer calves.

Honestly, I don't see these heifers being any better than a Brahma x Braunvieh. Both Brahma and Braunvieh give plenty of milk for raising calves. I don't think it would be worth raising Brown Swiss x Braunvieh, just to get heifers to cross again with Brahma. Now, a situation like this...a Brown Swiss dairy that has used Braun bulls and had these BS x Braun crosses....yeah, that was a good move to breed those heifers to Brahma.

I don't think I will fool with these 1 or 2 heifers. I had told him I would buy them at weaning, and I assumed they would be 6 mos old. This week I found out he weans his bottle calves as soon as possible..like maybe 2 months old. Like most dairies do, I guess. This would mean getting them in Dec or Jan. 6-8 6 mos old heifers that I could send south or west made some sense. 1 or 2 two month old claves does not. Not for me, anyway.
Assuming the guy is AIing, get him to put the straw in the non-ovulating horn of the uterus if you want heifers.

Latest posts