Brahman x Brown Syiss/Braunvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Met a man this weekend at our dove shoot, that is doing something interesting. His family used to be in the diary business in NE Ga til about 2000. This dude who is a grandson of the original owner, has turned their 600 acres into a tourism site and a palace for the organic/ grassfed types to buy meat and milkk from. He has a sunflower patch and holds a sunflower festival each year, Has an 8 acre haunted corn filed maze, and has a pick your own pumpkin patch. He's planted grapes and set up a winery. Converted the big dairy bran into this winery and has music events and rents it out for weddings. He sells dairy goats and goat milk, meat goats and meat sheep. He sells free range eggs and free range turkeys. and he sells fresh, raw milk, sorta. In Ga, you can not sell raw milk to the public, but you can drink your own. so, these boutique diairies have it set up to where you buy a cow, and they board it milk it for you. Being within 45 minutes of the NE Atlanta suburbs, this business is thriving.
Anyhow, back to the original topic of this thread. This diary had been a Brown swiss diary. Years ago,m he started using Braunvieh bulls, He said the resulting heifers milked just as wel as the Brown swiss, and the steer calves sold for more as they were a little more "beefy". He was breeding these BS/Brau heifers to a Jersey bull, then breeding them back to Braunvieh bulls for the 2nd calf on. This year he bred 12 of these BS/Brun heifers to a Brahma. He did 6 with a grey and 6 with a red( whatever the AI guy had in his tank), to see what kind of calves he will get. He hopes those steers will sell a little better than the BS/ Brauns do, and he will sell the heifers as well. No need in retaining them for milking. The first ones will calve in spetember and the last in November. I made a deal with him to buy the heifers at weaning at 6 mos old. Dunno if he plans on leaving them on a cow or put 2 or 3 on a nurse cow, or just feed them all bottles from milking their cows.

@Caustic Bruno , what do you think of this cross? IMO, they should do as well as the Brahma x Jeresys. Hoping there will be 6 at ;least of the 12 born heifers. I will be able to pick them up when the last one turns 6 mos old, so should be able to get about 6 at one time. I will be able to get pics of them way before then, of course, but I should be able to sell these for $700 if I have a place to go with them when its time to pick them up. I have no idea what it would cost to ship them to Texas. It may be cost-prohibitive for that few head.

You didn't ask me, and also I don't know what it would cost to ship them to Texas, but they'd bring a good price when you get them here.
I didn't mean to over look you, Rafter! And I sure value your opinion as well. I just tagged Caustic because I have seen several comments he has made about Jeresy x "Brimmer". Ir it cost $2k-$3k to get 5 or 6 out to Texas, then they would have $900-$1000 in each one. it still might be a good deal. I would imagine whoever bought them would prefer a custom haul on a small trailer, instead of part of a transfer truck load, Hell, if I am still alive and can find a horse to haul back, I might could deliver them myself. It will be May before the last one to be born is weaned, so I have time. When they all have been born and get some size to them, I will have the dude make some pics and/or video of them, and we will see what they look like. . This dude will have them all wormed and vaccinated for sure. If it were me and I was buying them for my herd, I would want them transported by themselves, I think. Would be great if 10 or 12 of them all had heifer calves...would help with the transport cost. And before anyone accuses me of being a "picker" ( or whatever the deragatory term is some people on here use for caw traders) I am paying him $600 a piece for them! :)

How much picked up as soon as you get them weaned? Your area does have fescue doesn't it? Your less than 4 hours from me and I can handle that.
That place is up in Banks or Habersham county, Kenny. 2 or 3 hours east for me pulling a trailer. But yes, they are raised on fescue up there for sure. Before transportation costs, they would be $700 for anyone who picked them up. I know you have been hunting some heifers like this. You can get as many as you want, if you don't want all of them.

Met a man this weekend at our dove shoot, that is doing something interesting. His family used to be in the diary business in NE Ga til about 2000. This dude who is a grandson of the original owner, has turned their 600 acres into a tourism site and a palace for the organic/ grassfed types to buy meat and milkk from. He has a sunflower patch and holds a sunflower festival each year, Has an 8 acre haunted corn filed maze, and has a pick your own pumpkin patch. He's planted grapes and set up a winery. Converted the big dairy bran into this winery and has music events and rents it out for weddings. He sells dairy goats and goat milk, meat goats and meat sheep. He sells free range eggs and free range turkeys. and he sells fresh, raw milk, sorta. In Ga, you can not sell raw milk to the public, but you can drink your own. so, these boutique diairies have it set up to where you buy a cow, and they board it milk it for you. Being within 45 minutes of the NE Atlanta suburbs, this business is thriving.
Anyhow, back to the original topic of this thread. This diary had been a Brown swiss diary. Years ago,m he started using Braunvieh bulls, He said the resulting heifers milked just as wel as the Brown swiss, and the steer calves sold for more as they were a little more "beefy". He was breeding these BS/Brau heifers to a Jersey bull, then breeding them back to Braunvieh bulls for the 2nd calf on. This year he bred 12 of these BS/Brun heifers to a Brahma. He did 6 with a grey and 6 with a red( whatever the AI guy had in his tank), to see what kind of calves he will get. He hopes those steers will sell a little better than the BS/ Brauns do, and he will sell the heifers as well. No need in retaining them for milking. The first ones will calve in spetember and the last in November. I made a deal with him to buy the heifers at weaning at 6 mos old. Dunno if he plans on leaving them on a cow or put 2 or 3 on a nurse cow, or just feed them all bottles from milking their cows.

@Caustic Bruno , what do you think of this cross? IMO, they should do as well as the Brahma x Jeresys. Hoping there will be 6 at ;least of the 12 born heifers. I will be able to pick them up when the last one turns 6 mos old, so should be able to get about 6 at one time. I will be able to get pics of them way before then, of course, but I should be able to sell these for $700 if I have a place to go with them when its time to pick them up. I have no idea what it would cost to ship them to Texas. It may be cost-prohibitive for that few head.
Should be good, make a big cow I would think.
With a good angus bull calves should mash the scales .

Should be good, make a big cow I would think.
With a good angus bull calves should mash the scales .
That's what I am thinking too, Caustic. Or out west where it doesn't seem to matter, might be good ones to breed to Charolais. I got to wondering last night about Brown Swiss and Braunveih, and I need to research some today. I wonder if there are 2 separate registries? Or if animals can be cross registered or dual registered. Dunno why because it doesn;t matter in this situation. Just curious if there is really that much difference. Must be for the man to tell me had bred Brown Swiss to Braunvieh bulls.

That's what I am thinking too, Caustic. Or out west where it doesn't seem to matter, might be good ones to breed to Charolais. I got to wondering last night about Brown Swiss and Braunveih, and I need to research some today. I wonder if there are 2 separate registries? Or if animals can be cross registered or dual registered. Dunno why because it doesn;t matter in this situation. Just curious if there is really that much difference. Must be for the man to tell me had bred Brown Swiss to Braunvieh bulls.
My hesitation with Charolais would be calving ease and BW until I knew what that hybrid vigor looked like.
Brahman adds a supercharger to the three way cross. I would want a couple calf crops before I left Angus or Hereford.
Other question does Hereford over Brown Swiss yield a dark calf like Hereford over Holstein.
The reason for the Hereford question is Hereford/ Brahman is the maximum hybrid cross for growth pounds.

I would think a Hereford Swiss cross would be somewhat like a Jersey cross, maybe but brownish and prone to being brindle.

I've had a couple Brown Swiss, back in my Charolais days. The Char cross calves were either real light yellow, or a light mouse color. Big boned growthy calves but the dairy character shined through at all all stages.

I've had a couple Brown Swiss, back in my Charolais days. The Char cross calves were either real light yellow, or a light mouse color. Big boned growthy calves but the dairy character shined through at all all stages.
You don't get that with the Jersey Brahman cross.
The calves are black as the ace of spade's.

You don't get that with the Jersey Brahman cross.
The calves are black as the ace of spade's.
If the Brahman component makes the Jersey cross black, than it should do the same with the Brown Swiss, I have no knowledge first hand of either cross, except I'd like to have some Brahman x Jersey cows.
I was referring to the dilution factor with Charolais.

My hesitation with Charolais would be calving ease and BW until I knew what that hybrid vigor looked like.
Brahman adds a supercharger to the three way cross. I would want a couple calf crops before I left Angus or Hereford.
Other question does Hereford over Brown Swiss yield a dark calf like Hereford over Holstein.
The reason for the Hereford question is Hereford/ Brahman is the maximum hybrid cross for growth pounds.
Well, let the tomato throwing begin, but I am going to say it anyhow. The dreaded BH word. Use a homozygous for black and polled, Black Hereford bull. :)

Alrighty then, I'll throw the first mater.😂 I don't honestly see black Hereford being advantageous over an Angus or a real Hereford, unless the individual is of good quality and the price is right.
We are using a Angus Hereford cross bull, he fits the criteria, we think he is a real good bull, and he was cheap, home raised. I would not purposely go buy one like him for the price I've been paying for registered bulls though.
Also have another BWF young bull coming on, Simmental Hereford cross.

If the Brahman component makes the Jersey cross black, than it should do the same with the Brown Swiss, I have no knowledge first hand of either cross, except I'd like to have some Brahman x Jersey cows.
3DAFFB72-7D3C-4F68-BD3B-2AE0EB8EF387.jpeg

Alrighty then, I'll throw the first mater.😂 I don't honestly see black Hereford being advantageous over an Angus or a real Hereford, unless the individual is of good quality and the price is right.
Black Herefords are real Herefords. They can be as high as 63/64ths Hereford...about as much Hereford as a black simmental is simmental. Charolais, Simmental and a few other continental breed associations with "breed up" programs, registered these part breeds. Hereford Association does not, so the breeders created a new association. The advantage of a Black Hereford over a red Hereford, is the black calves. The advantage of the black Hereford over the Angus, is the well-documented maximum heterosis in the Hereford x Brahma cross, which is a little more than Angus. Seems like from the chart, Hereford was #1 and Angus #3 as far as hybrid vigor crossed with Brahma.

He wasn't saying the Jer x Brah cows were black. he was saying they throw 100% black calves when bred to angus.

Latest posts