Brahman with a respitory

Help Support CattleToday:

Frazier

Reaction score
Looking for some insight..I have a month old registered Brahman bull calf that started coughing about a month ago..Vet came out.. said lungs sounded clear but airway sounded irritated.. He was treated with Baytril, Dex and banamine..He stopped coughing for about a week then it came back. New vettreated with Draxill ,dex and banamine.. once again he appeared to get better but after a week he started coughing again..I then treated him a third time with Draxxil and la300 he seemed great for about two weeks today he was coughing again... His temp has been about average 103 ( I'm in Florida temps are in the high 90s with humidity at 79-80% and we have to work him to get him in the pen..) He is eating fine gaining weight ..But I'm concerned about the cough... Anyone have any thoughts or opinions? Any info would be appreciated..Thank you

May have lung damage. How long before you noticed the cough before the first round of drugs? Hot humid weather make the condition worse.
As much as you have gave him I would have a hard time believing giving anything else is going to help. He may be a chronic.

I had an outstanding Grandmaster Bull calf that I had to send to slaughter. The almost identical circumstances. We even did a tracheal flush to determine if he had something that could be cultured that we were not treating for. Came up negative. I did not want to market a bull for breeding that coughed and wheezed. So I took a hit and sold him as a feeder.

Both vets tell me his lungs sound good..Both said his airway sounded like it might be a little irritated..The coughing seems to only happen after he eats or runs...I ran him through the chute temp was normal...So I wormed him again..Like I said he's eating and putting on weight..Acting normal.. Just the occasional cough..He was brought as our new Herd bull.. Have a lot invested in him..Don't want to give up on him yet....

Frazier":3vu0hv7d said:
Both vets tell me his lungs sound good..Both said his airway sounded like it might be a little irritated..The coughing seems to only happen after he eats or runs...I ran him through the chute temp was normal...So I wormed him again..Like I said he's eating and putting on weight..Acting normal.. Just the occasional cough..He was brought as our new Herd bull.. Have a lot invested in him..Don't want to give up on him yet....

I don't blame you but you should avoid the practice of treating without knowing what you are treating! BTW: it could simply be allergies and I have had that too. There is nothing to do for that either.

What did you use for a dewormer?? Does it get lung worms?
Do you see any connection to weather changes? Allergies are a possibility. If he was a "lunger", the vets should have been able to hear that.

Could he have calf diphtheria? They get it be getting a cut or scrap from something they eat and fusobecterium colonizes the wound. The best treatment for that is sustain 3 bolus every 3 days for a couple of weeks. Also give probias while doing the antibiotics. Also I would give banamine everyday his temp is over 102.6.

He was wormed with cydectin .. and It did seem like his coughing got worst.... His temp has been normal..101.4* (Florida weather 96*)..At night he likes to run,buck and charge other herd members...Eats well.. Coughing seems to be the only issue with an occasional runny eye...Let me elaborate.. His coughing isn't excessive.. I've watched him for hours on camera.. And he can go hours before he coughs...Yesterday he didn't cough at all...This morning while exiting the feeding coral he walked over to the Water trough drank a bit and coughed... The only reason I find it weird is that none of the other Brahmans cough. At all..

It sounds like you are sitting around just waiting for his next cough. I would not be too stressed about it. Apply liberal doses of tincture of time.

Ken