Brahman Steer at our place

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
A 3/4 Brahman steer out of a 1/2 Brahman
Brahman_steer.jpg

nice calf, have you ever thought about a senepol/south devon animal, southdevon/senepol bull would be interesting, or southdevon x tuli ;-) I have always liked the look of Tuli and senepol cattle, but I have neither I have registered limousin cattle and commercial angus hereford at Ebor area.

Several commercial breeders use South Devon as the British composition in their commercial Tuli based herds to give the frame size and milk for the continental terminal cross.
This cross is quite popular with Australian breeders, as is the Red Poll cross, my only concern is the possibility of a dishonest breeder infusing South Devon genetics into stud Tuli cattle, it would be difficult to pick up a 25% Devon given the Tuli prepotence in the hybrid calves.
As always, I believe a composite should be identified as such, and pure breeds not tampered with!

looks like a nice steer, you are also yousing those rfd tages to we use them we find the get ripped out and broken off easily

Sorry A.C. I got (more than a little) carried away!
Nice Brahman calf always been fond of the Indicus breeds, there are probably more Brahman/Tuli crosses in Southern Africa than any other Tuli cross,they 'blend' very well,and produce an exeptionaly hardy and fertile cross.

I have a friend that uses Senepol over his South Devon and is very pleased with them. I've never seen Tulis crossed with SD. They should be OK.
That steer is out of a 1/2 Simmie 1/2 Brahman cow,He was sired by our honey coloured Brahman Out of a Simbrah cow. The Simbrah cows that we have had some great calves when crossed to the Brahman. This year we are joining them to South Devon. :D
Colin

Are all those kind of cattle so short backed with no depth and no front end? It looks like your only cuts of beef would be rump roast and ground beef!

Hey, we have a few that I'd bet that somewhere down the line there was some Brahman infusion. I see this on alot of the Phillips and peeler type cattle. They are usually big, heavy cattle, milk well and have a little more leather than some of the other lines. It's so funny in our herd or herds as I should say-we have several different lines that we blend and there's so much difference in size and type between the straight Butler cattle and the larger, Phillips and Peeler type cattle.

Yep, same here. I've got an old YO longhorn gal (no papers) thats definately got some brahma in her. Her Char-sired calf looks like a white brangus with brown speckles. He gains weight like a char, though, so it works.