Brahman Price and Value

Help Support CattleToday:

Saw some steer yesterday which I would guess were Gert cross. They were red and had some leather. They sold a good 30 cents under the market. Some longhorn steers came in they sold for $0.23. Last week a bunch of 5 weight Correnties all brought less than $100 a head. At the same sale Reds, blacks, baldies, and grey calves in the same weight range were $1.50+.

Why the big discount on Continental cattle?
People down here got their fill of the cow-killers years ago, and old habits are hard to break. I watched a sale online Tuesday in NC. It was different than any I had seen They were selling bred cows and heifers....they all had the months bred wrote on their sides. They would run them in the ring one at a time, and sell them by the pound. Say the cow was `1000 lbs and brought^.60 per pound, or $600 by weight, Then, they'd auction her by the head, with $610 being the opening bid for example. If the cow brought more by the head, they'd sell her that way. A LH cow, 800 lbs, 8 mos bred sold for .38 a pound. That was $304. They then auctioned her by the head, opening bid being $310 . Someone bid that online and that's who got her. A white faced Char x, looked like Hereford and Char, 900 lbs and 8 mos bred brought just .40 a pound. A 900 lb smoky 7 mos bred brought .40. A Char x something red....red Angus, Simm or something brought .42 cents. Red baldies brought in the 60 cent range, Black and black baldies were 90 cents and up. Usually, there isn't that much difference in red or white cattle vs black, if all else is equal. Usually, red brings about 20 cents less, Char and Char crosses bring about 30 cents less. And, it is not so much that non-black cattle are discounted, as it is that black cattle fetch a premium, due to the CAB program.

My son bought a herd from a lady over in NW Alabama. 14 registered polled Hereford, 2 red baldies , a brangus cow and a black Brahma cow . She has every characteristic of a Brahma except she is black ! She came with a tiger striped heifer calf , had a solid black heifer from our angus bull that shows a little ear , and then this year she had a bull calf. He looked more Brahma than angus so we let him go this week with some more feeder calves . Haven't got our check yet so I hope they didn't dock him too much . Good luck on getting your son some heifers . I've always thought Brahma were good looking cows !