Brahman Price and Value

Help Support CattleToday:

northcreek

Reaction score
My 8 year old son really likes Brahman cattle. Recently a local sale barn advertised a few head of heifers to be in the sale. I went thinking that I could bring one home for him. I figured it would be an easy way for him to spot his cow and that we could keep the heifers out of it and slowly start him his own herd. I would estimate the heifers that sold to be about 700 lbs, Good quality, and weaned. When they went through, they brought about double what a continental heifer of the same quality would have brought. There was five in the lot and they sold for $1450/head. Needless to say, I suffered from sticker shock and came home with an empty trailer. I was just interested to know if this price variance was typical around the country or if they were more expensive because they are not that common in my neck of the woods.

I haven't often seen good quality Brahman heifers in regular weekly sales, but when I have they've brought big money. I suspect farther north they are less expensive.

You said "or if they were more expensive because they are not that common in my neck of the woods." Where is your neck of the woods?

I haven't often seen good quality Brahman heifers in regular weekly sales, but when I have they've brought big money. I suspect farther north they are less expensive.

You said "or if they were more expensive because they are not that common in my neck of the woods." Where is your neck of the woods?
I am located in Northeast Alabama. There are some around, but not very common. In south Alabama there are a lot more eared cattle.

I'm not familiar with prices in your area, but that seems pretty strong for heifers that size at the sale barn that far from the Deep South. They must have been good. I'd say them advertising them drew some others in like yourself that wanted some since they aren't as common there. You could pick up some registered heifers for a little more and know the background on them.

That's about right. It will vary a little based on quality and how gentle they are.

I would not buy a random single heifer like that for your scenario. Go to a breeder and tell them what you are doing. Be sure the one you buy is ok with children and can be singled out with out any problems.

You being in NE Ala, your market is essentially the same as ours in NW Ga. Continental cattle are pretty much worthless here, unless it is one of those that breeders have turned black and can pass as Angus. About the only place a Sim or Char or something would bring more than a Brahma, would be up north or Canada. The $1450 price doesn't surprise me at all . Actually, the seller could have done better selling them individually. Anytime you try to see cows by the head in a group like that, buyers just bid on the worst one. 4 of those 5 probably would have sold for more that that, if sold one at a time. Did you happen to catch what their age was? I have been aquiring Brahma heifers for a client..18 mos or older.. and they are costing closer to $2k per head. What's the name of the sale, and what day of the week is it on?

I'm not familiar with prices in your area, but that seems pretty strong for heifers that size at the sale barn that far from the Deep South. They must have been good. I'd say them advertising them drew some others in like yourself that wanted some since they aren't as common there. You could pick up some registered heifers for a little more and know the background on them.
I have since contacted a breeder. They were good quality, but I felt the same way about seeing what a registered one would be.

You being in NE Ala, your market is essentially the same as ours in NW Ga. Continental cattle are pretty much worthless here, unless it is one of those that breeders have turned black and can pass as Angus. About the only place a Sim or Char or something would bring more than a Brahma, would be up north or Canada. The $1450 price doesn't surprise me at all . Actually, the seller could have done better selling them individually. Anytime you try to see cows by the head in a group like that, buyers just bid on the worst one. 4 of those 5 probably would have sold for more that that, if sold one at a time. Did you happen to catch what their age was? I have been aquiring Brahma heifers for a client..18 mos or older.. and they are costing closer to $2k per head. What's the name of the sale, and what day of the week is it on?
They were at Kilpatrick, AL at the Saturday sale. If they stated an age, I didn't hear it. I would estimate they were long yearlings. They ran all five through at once giving the highest bidder choice and the buyer took all. I don't know a lot about brahmans, but these were pretty fancy, seemed very gentle and definitely appeared weaned.

They were at Kilpatrick, AL at the Saturday sale. If they stated an age, I didn't hear it. I would estimate they were long yearlings. They ran all five through at once giving the highest bidder choice and the buyer took all. I don't know a lot about brahmans, but these were pretty fancy, seemed very gentle and definitely appeared weaned.
That doesn't seem like too high a price at all, then. Where is the breeder you contacted located? I might need to check out what they have, too.

The further north you go the cheaper they become. I have often thought I should buy any eared cattle that show up around here and ship them south. Here they bring half or less than standard English or continental cattle will bring. Here 700 pound eared heifers are $0.50 - $0.60 a pound.

This is a picture the stockyard shared on FB if them. To me they looked a little older in the picture than in person, but I felt they were definitely good quality.
View attachment 9927
Yep, those were some good'uns. Wanted to throw something out there for you to consider. What if you got your 8 yr old boy a Brahma bull calf? If he made it a pet, I can just about guarantee when it is full grown, 2500 lbs, he will still be able to pet it and lead it around. Not saying this is true for 100% of them 100% of the time, but I have seen a lot more gentle, docile Br bulls than cows, especially with calves. Not saying Brahma cows are any meaner than any other breed of cow can be, but I have never seen a kid leading around, or riding on, a grown Brahma cow,. I have seen several bulls like this, though. What kind of cows do you have? Angus, Hereford, etc.... you and he could raise some F1 heifers that he'd get top dollar for. Or y'all could keep them top build his herd. His steers would sell well, too, and he could sell them and buy some more Brahma heifers if he wanted to. Or some more Angus or Hereford cows, to build his herd. Just a thought. @Caustic Burno , @Brute 23 , y'all have fooled with Brahmas a lot more than me., What is your opinions on Brahma bull docility?

Went to a special cow sale a month ago that had a bunch of Brahman and Brahman influenced cattle at the beginning of the sale. I think a lot of them brought $600-$800 if i remember right. Not much demand for them here.

Yep, those were some good'uns. Wanted to throw something out there for you to consider. What if you got your 8 yr old boy a Brahma bull calf? If he made it a pet, I can just about guarantee when it is full grown, 2500 lbs, he will still be able to pet it and lead it around. Not saying this is true for 100% of them 100% of the time, but I have seen a lot more gentle, docile Br bulls than cows, especially with calves. Not saying Brahma cows are any meaner than any other breed of cow can be, but I have never seen a kid leading around, or riding on, a grown Brahma cow,. I have seen several bulls like this, though. What kind of cows do you have? Angus, Hereford, etc.... you and he could raise some F1 heifers that he'd get top dollar for. Or y'all could keep them top build his herd. His steers would sell well, too, and he could sell them and buy some more Brahma heifers if he wanted to. Or some more Angus or Hereford cows, to build his herd. Just a thought. @Caustic Burno , @Brute 23 , y'all have fooled with Brahmas a lot more than me., What is your opinions on Brahma bull docility?
I have considered getting him a Brahman bull. I have angus crossed cattle and a herd of Gert and Star 5. The bull mates that sold with these heifers brought about half price of what the heifers did.

If you were at the kilpatrick sale you weren't to far from me in Jackson county. Those were some pretty ones for sure . They would definitely be easy for your son to pick out in the pasture ! My question would be what do you plan on breeding to ? Ear calves just don't bring as much at the sale barn as English breeds like angus . In our area it has to have black hair to bring the best money . Not pushing angus for sure but want your son to make the most from his cattle . Things to ponder .

If you were at the kilpatrick sale you weren't to far from me in Jackson county. Those were some pretty ones for sure . They would definitely be easy for your son to pick out in the pasture ! My question would be what do you plan on breeding to ? Ear calves just don't bring as much at the sale barn as English breeds like angus . In our area it has to have black hair to bring the best money . Not pushing angus for sure but want your son to make the most from his cattle . Things to ponder .
I have several angus cross cattle in one place and another that has Gert and Star 5 (Gert/Hereford). I really just want a couple so that he could easily differentiate his from the rest. Honestly I foresee it as more of a learning and appreciation scenario than a money making experience for him. With that being said I know the steer calves would take a hit at the local sale, but I would have him keep the heifers. I was just really surprised at how high they sold. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the Brahman breed in our area. I knew the heifers would probably bring a premium, but I didn't expect them to be that much higher than a good angus/brangus type heifer.

I have several angus cross cattle in one place and another that has Gert and Star 5 (Gert/Hereford). I really just want a couple so that he could easily differentiate his from the rest. Honestly I foresee it as more of a learning and appreciation scenario than a money making experience for him. With that being said I know the steer calves would take a hit at the local sale, but I would have him keep the heifers. I was just really surprised at how high they sold. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the Brahman breed in our area. I knew the heifers would probably bring a premium, but I didn't expect them to be that much higher than a good angus/brangus type heifer.
What kind of bull are you using on your Angus herd?

I have considered getting him a Brahman bull. I have angus crossed cattle and a herd of Gert and Star 5. The bull mates that sold with these heifers brought about half price of what the heifers did.
No! You don't put Brahman over English, you put English over Brahman.
That way can produce behemoth bull calves.
The other way reduces BW.
No way would I put a Brahman on English. The exception would be a V8 with lots of EPD data behind him.
PM your email and I will send you the over view of Dr David Riley's TAMU workshop.
He is a leading authority in using Brahman genetics for herd improvements.

Latest posts