Brahman Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
With all the talk about Brahman cattle I thought I would post some pics. This is what modern, American, Brahman cattle look like.

Here are a couple calf pics also. They are not perfect by any means but they sell good and don't require much to raise. These are far from Correiente or Longhorn cattle.

Pretty animals. Bos indicus influenced or Bos taurus indicus if you follow the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature.

Its an interesting breed. A member of the Zebu family. I wonder how diverse their genome is? I would guess they got a little bit of everything in them from shorthorn to corriente.

Taken from Reference:
The scientific name of zebu cattle was originally Bos indicus, but they are now more commonly classified within the species Bos taurus as B. t. indicus, together with taurine cattle (B. t. taurus) and the extinct ancestor of both of them, the aurochs (B. t. primigenius).[2] Taurine ("European") cattle are descended from the Eurasian aurochs, while zebu are descended from the Indian aurochs. "Zebu" may be either singular or plural, but "zebus" is also an acceptable plural form. The Spanish name, cebu or cebú, is also present in a few English works.

Thanks for sharing. Pictures are the icing on the cake.

Looks good over there, Brute. Saw some Longhorn x Shorthorn cattle in Georgia on Facebook that were darn impressive.

Its hard to explain how much hustle these cattle have compared to even the Brangus or F1 cattle.

They spend a large part of their time in the scendaros grazing. Last week I drove out in the pasture to check on them and they were literally in the brush grazing... not just in the scendaro... in the brush. :)

Brute 23":rs4i8ycl said:
Its hard to explain how much hustle these cattle have compared to even the Brangus or F1 cattle.

They spend a large part of their time in the scendaros grazing. Last week I drove out in the pasture to check on them and they were literally in the brush grazing... not just in the scendaro... in the brush. :)

I would not convert to Brahman where I am in Kentucky, furthermore, I love what I raise but it would be fun to have one to learn their nature. I have seen them on the savannas of Africa, they are interesting cattle. My concern would be their docility.

Very nice cattle. Always love to see Brahman cattle, used to see a few bulls around, but now mainly just Beefmasters and Gerts, and not as many of them, although I hear there are beginning to be a few more in use again. I am the kind of person that gets excited ever time I see a field of cattle, and seeing Brahman is the icing on the cake. Used to love drives in Florida, seeing fields of them. Went to a stockyards once in Webster, FL, not many cattle there that day, but saw a few Brahman crossed cows and a few corriente type cows sell.

Brute,

Your picture of the Brahman reminds me of Africa. Looks like the savannas of East and Southern Africa. Some of the pictures of Texas could pass for Africa if you didn't know better. The Eland remind me of Brahman.

sxcgv4.jpg

With all that good looking improved pasture my cattle would flourish there. In south Florida, Brahman cows are needed because they can eat palmetto, scrub and sage and raise a calf. We never had grass like that.

I agree with you KY hills. :nod:

Having this small herd of Brahmans is nice and we will grow it thru replacements but I would not convert over to all straight Brahmans. I like the other cattle also. They all have their pros and cons. My plan is to use these to produce our own F1s, then put Angus bulls across them to go to sale with. Its very hard to find quality F1s at a reasonable price.

Bright Raven":33i3ydw9 said:
Brute 23":33i3ydw9 said:

I would not convert to Brahman where I am in Kentucky, furthermore, I love what I raise but it would be fun to have one to learn their nature. I have seen them on the savannas of Africa, they are interesting cattle. My concern would be their docility.
those were developed in the US, so was the name Brahman...there's different temperaments across the bos indicus breeds...I've been around several different.. The Gyr is dog gentle. Got a head as big as a wash tub, and a body like a longhorn :cowboy:

True Grit Farms":18x5z32b said:
With all that good looking improved pasture my cattle would flourish there. In south Florida, Brahman cows are needed because they can eat palmetto, scrub and sage and raise a calf. We never had grass like that.

That's native pasture but I put herbicide at the top of the list before any thing else. Kenny and other can attest to what this country looks like with out it. We also have really low stocking rates and have had record years for rainfall. Just 3 or 4 weeks ago we had 12"... that helps out a lot. :) When it goes dry, they will earn their keep.

RanchMan90":187xplxq said:
Prices look a little off in San saba today. F1s bringing similar to feeder heifers.

I wonder what that country look like right now. A lot of stuff West and south of us is burnt up. They are about to be coming to town with cattle if the don't get rain this month.

Do you have the sale report? Looks like that was the place to be. I have room for some good cattle priced right.

Latest posts