Brahman or crosses in Alberta or Saskatchewan ?!

Help Support CattleToday:

If you are looking for something different go with Highland. Great conversations pieces. I worked on a ranch and they bought some Brangus bulls. several of them froze their breeding apparatus and had to be canned. I would imagine a more straight Bramahn would be touchier. Females did good though.

Personally I'll just stick with one or two Brahman cows and keep their bull calves for freezer beef. A local guy bred his Angus cows to his pet brahman bull, hold on the F1 Brangus calves till they're yearlings and sell them in late spring without any dock.

Muddy":1e14vta0 said:
Don't worry about True Grits and his baboons. We have few brahman breeders in Minnesota and they do fine in winters as long as you use more bedding for them and have shelter available for them. Just don't calving them out while the ground is still white. The Brahmans are kinda of being a high maintenance animal in our climate.
You gave really good sound reasons to NOT OWN Brahman cattle up North.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":xnx03zbx said:
Muddy":xnx03zbx said:
Don't worry about True Grits and his baboons. We have few brahman breeders in Minnesota and they do fine in winters as long as you use more bedding for them and have shelter available for them. Just don't calving them out while the ground is still white. The Brahmans are kinda of being a high maintenance animal in our climate.
Not everyone calving out during winters, duh. Maybe they just want a brahman for just fun and giggles. Plus half Brahmans do fine in winters.

Muddy":17z1eluu said:
Caustic Burno":17z1eluu said:
I love Brimmer cattle and there crosses they don't belong up there.
And you keeping said about Beefmasters being in Colorado....

Beefmaster is onlyb 1/2 Brahman you booger eating moron the 1/4 is shorthorn 1/4 herd that is a HeII if a difference in Brahman and Brahman influenced cattle and a stabilized composite.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3lgd3n0m said:
Muddy":3lgd3n0m said:
That's the way to roll...raise cattle that don't work in your enviroment.. And throw tons of money at them to keep em alive,, then get your butt handed to you when you sell...

Caustic Burno":yo6585go said:
Muddy":yo6585go said:
Caustic Burno":yo6585go said:
I love Brimmer cattle and there crosses they don't belong up there.
And you keeping said about Beefmasters being in Colorado....

Beefmaster is onlyb 1/2 Brahman you booger eating moron the 1/4 is shorthorn 1/4 herd that is a HeII if a difference in Brahman and Brahman influenced cattle and a stabilized composite.
booger eating moron :banana: :banana: :banana: I am laid up with the flu but that made me laugh, don't know why but thought that was kind of funny

Muddy":39ixob71 said:

Why keep them if they're a higher cost animal to maintain?

djinwa":15frojdm said:
Fascinating that people okay with black angus in the south, think Brahman up north are dumb.
Wonder how a polar bear would do after being thrown somewhere along the gulf coast...and forced to survive after years of developing into what they are???

ALACOWMAN":3aaw89jh said:
djinwa":3aaw89jh said:
Fascinating that people okay with black angus in the south, think Brahman up north are dumb.
Wonder how a polar bear would do after being thrown somewhere along the gulf coast...and forced to survive after years of developing into what they are???

Who said Angus are okay in the Deep South. They sure don't fair as well as standardized composite.

You Brahman guys just as well drop this, there is people committing on Brahmans that wouldn't know a Brahman from a Shetland pony.

Have to agree that it would seem to be pretty unfair to the animal when they were developed for hot, drier type climates; to put them in a climate that is very inhospitable. Sure, crosses should get some of the traits to make surviving better. If you want something different I agree that Highlands and Galloways are perfect for the cold. With their double haircoat they are made to order for the cold climate. And come on, the belted galloways are really nice to look at. And very good eating. And don't forget, the Highlands are the beef of choice by the royal family in England so they must taste pretty good too.

And no, this post is not being sarcastic.

Attached are the type of Brahmans I am looking at. Keep in mind they will be pets. Heated barn and all that when they desire

Which I highly doubt any would need they look very acclimatized. These are pets for my wife not "money makers". Anything will pay for itself if it has a calf not a difficult concept

Unless you take nothing for your cattle like the southern states seems to.

Looks like they would make great pets... Atleast that type would be Good for something..no wonder your attracted to longhorn..seems like anything that has beef on its carcass,,better not set foot on you property...

ALACOWMAN":35gjhtzw said:
Looks like they would make great pets... Atleast that type would be Good for something..no wonder your attracted to longhorn..seems like anything that has beef on its carcass,,better not set foot on you property...
Just stay in your precious Texas then.

Latest posts