Brahman Influenced Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
For those of you with Brahman influenced heifers.. have you ever had a heifer get a big navel area prior to calving? I'm talking just a matter of days.

I was out grooming the show calves, and I've got one of my Simbrah heifers up in the yard because she's getting really close to calving. She was hanging out at the barn door, so I went out to scratch her, and when I reached under her to scratch her belly, noticed her navel area! It's as big as my fist! No hole that I could tell (hernia) but seems to be liquid filled. Of course her bag is big also! This is a recent thing.. I see her every day and just now noticed it.

Anyone?

Happens in other breeds too. We had one a few years ago. Goes away a few days after calving. There have been a few posts on here about it. I think it is called udder edema.

Good luck.

Farmgirl

Farmgirl is right, it is probably edema. When a cow is fresh it quite often swells up behind and around the navel area, that's where the milk vein is.

relax as said said its just udder edama.an itll go down a few days after she calves.its rare to see beef heifers do that before calving.but it does happen.

Latest posts