Brahman influence

Help Support CattleToday:

D.R. Cattle

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out just exactly how much Brahman influence is required to maintain a resilient, easy calving, fertile, heat tolerant animal. At 3/8, they are tough as nails. Anyone have experience with 3/16 animals and what conditions they were exposed to? How well did they do?

Hello DR --- FWIW, for some time now the King Ranch has been reducing the Brahman influence in their Gert herd down to 3/16 in connection with the "creation" of a new composite breed called the Santa Cruz. They have combined 25% each Gelbvieh and Red Angus plus 50% Gert to make this composite. Since the Gert itself contains 3/8 Brahman blood the resulting Santa Cruz has 3/16 Brahman. In general the environment for the King Ranch is very tough since it lies primarily in South Texas coastal brush country. The Santa Cruz are apparently doing very well and from what I read they grade better, in general, than the Gerts.

Another large ranch of note here in Texas is the R. A. Brown ranch in Throckmorton, about which we chatted a few weeks ago in connection with the Senepol discussion. I'm pretty sure that the Brown's Hotlander composite contains no more than 3/16 Brahman. Different part of the state than King Ranch, probably about 500 miles farther north and away from the coast --- so its hot, but I imagine less humidity and insects. Regards, Arnold Ziffle

I hate being a follower, but exploiting someone else's trials sounds good to me. My calves are 3/16, but to get there I use Angus bulls on Braford heifers. It's tough on the bulls. I think I could AI the Brafords with F1 Gelbveigh/Angus (Balancer) and the reulting composites would be a black version of exactly what these guys are doing. Use the Braford cows as a base to develop my own herd of higher quality composites.

I'm sure these ideas will be criticized by The Sandhills of Nebraska, but we aren't all in a place that we can utilize straight British blood.

I have several 3/16's commercial cows but prefer the ones that have at least 1/4 of Brahman influence (less tick problem) but as far as the problems you listed 3/16's works, at least in my area. The climate conditions in Northeast Mexico are the same as in Deep South Texas

D.R. Cattle":2uwy1vhw said:
I'm trying to figure out just exactly how much Brahman influence is required to maintain a resilient, easy calving, fertile, heat tolerant animal. At 3/8, they are tough as nails. Anyone have experience with 3/16 animals and what conditions they were exposed to? How well did they do?