Brahman/ Hereford Crosses

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I want to produce replacement heifers for market. I have settled on Brahman - Hereford Cross, but do not know which way to go from there (ie Brahman Bull/Hereford Heifers or Hereford Bull/Brahman Heifers). Any comments or opinions?

[email protected]

I would find some gentle brahma coes and put a herford bull on them..they don't seem to have the "brahma ears" as with a brahma bull on herford cows

> I want to produce replacement
> heifers for market. I have settled
> on Brahman - Hereford Cross, but
> do not know which way to go from
> there (ie Brahman Bull/Hereford
> Heifers or Hereford Bull/Brahman
> Heifers). Any comments or
> opinions?

Personally, it doesn't make any difference which way the cross is made. The product produced will be the same. I think it is a matter of perference without going into detail. I would caution about making the cross on heifers, unless you know the genetics of your bull, for example. I would use an Angus or Brangus bull genetically suited for breeding heifers. My objective with a first calf heifer would be to get a live calf on the ground, that would market fairly well, and then make the desired cross the second go round. There are those that make take exception to my opinion; it can be done with careful planning and one needs a good place to calf the heifers about delievery time.

[email protected]

> I would find some gentle brahma
> coes and put a herford bull on
> them..they don't seem to have the
> "brahma ears" as with a
> brahma bull on herford cows

herford cows will for the most part be a little easier to work with for a beginer .

Latest posts