Brahman Hereford cross

Help Support CattleToday:

nap

Reaction score
HI,
I've just purchased 23 registered bred hereford heifers. The heifers are bred to a hereford bull. Next year I want to use them on a red brahman bull. I am wondering what I should expect with the calves. I know a herford gray brahman cross will bring tiger striped calves, but I am unsure about a red brahman bull. Anyone out there that can help?
Nap

The closest i can help you is we have bred our hereford cows with a brangus bull and had some nice black baldie calves

they will still be f1s, they will just be darker than the tigerstripes from a gray bull. most of them will probably have some brindle, some may just be dark red with white on face. you can still sell them as "tigerstripes" without the brindling. most people are looking for the f1 vigor, not the color.

Beefy":2j8drzbv said:
they will still be f1s, they will just be darker than the tigerstripes from a gray bull. most of them will probably have some brindle, some may just be dark red with white on face. you can still sell them as "tigerstripes" without the brindling. most people are looking for the f1 vigor, not the color.

He can sell them after he catches them it is like trying to herd turkeys.
The heifers will bring a premium you will take a bath with the steer calfs.

nap":d8ixk8pc said:
HI,
I've just purchased 23 registered bred hereford heifers. The heifers are bred to a hereford bull. Next year I want to use them on a red brahman bull. I am wondering what I should expect with the calves. I know a herford gray brahman cross will bring tiger striped calves, but I am unsure about a red brahman bull. Anyone out there that can help?
Nap
Depending on where your are, i would use a brangus bull. good sellable heifers or retain. and the steers will sell better too.

A red Brahman on Hereford will produce more solid red or chocolate bald face cattle than tiger stripes. Just as good of mothers, just not as easily recognized. F1 Brahman X Hereford cattle can be easy to handle. Just depends on how they are handled. They are definitely not for beginners or people without good solid facilities.

You may want to use as suggested, a Brangus bull or if you are like me and prefer red cattle use a Santa Gertrudis, Beefmaster or Red Brangus to make replacement females. The steer mates will sell well and the females will make almost as good of cows as the Brahman x Herefords and be easier to handle.

Caustic Burno":27r563hb said:
CowpokeJ":27r563hb said:
I like the Gert, Beef ideas

Gerts can be just as crazy and high headed as any Tiger, Uncle ran a couple hundred for years. They are hateful beast.
Its all in how they are handled. Every breed has some disposition problems. I once owned a Holstien that treed the help at the vet clinic when I took a load in to get pregnacy checked.

Out of all the Brimmer influenced crosses Gert would be the worse have tally wacker problems fertility can be a problem in slow to breed back. That is for sure the cow to not have right now, as well as being high headed and hot, one in 200 get's mad the whole bunch is stirred up.
F-1 tigers good mommas with dispostion problems as well as bell tits and poor selling steer calves.
Brangus/Hereford cross will all ways bring top dollar, there are dispostion problems here as well with the brangus side of the equation.
These three crosses are all going to leave you with loose hide and some ear.

The best cross would be a Beefmaster if you could get past the wild colors or a Char right now .

Caustic Burno":2tueedlx said:
Out of all the Brimmer influenced crosses Gert would be the worse have tally wacker problems fertility can be a problem in slow to breed back. That is for sure the cow to not have right now, as well as being high headed and hot, one in 200 get's mad the whole bunch is stirred up.
F-1 tigers good mommas with dispostion problems as well as bell tits and poor selling steer calves.
Brangus/Hereford cross will all ways bring top dollar, there are dispostion problems here as well with the brangus side of the equation.These three crosses are all going to leave you with loose hide and some ear.

The best cross would be a Beefmaster if you could get past the wild colors or a Char right now .
i like that cross the best, especially right now when every penny you can squeeze out counts. one thing that will help those dispostions, is they'll be running with a hereford moma, and that'll help keep em quit and easy to handle

Latest posts