brahman heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How much does an average just weaned purebred/registered brahman (red or grey) heifer cost? I am interested in buying one to crossbreed with my hereford bull in order to get replacement heifers.

There will be a Registered sale next Saturday in Henderson. You can get an idea there or can call and ask. It is a consignment sale, many breeders will be represented.

Brahman heifers are really high .. primarily because they are being used for F1 production.

At the Sealy sale a couple of weeks ago, open heifers were bringing $1750. (non registered)

Bull Lady, do you know a link where I can see the report on that sale.

TIA

TheBullLady":24dlm3df said:
Brahman heifers are really high .. primarily because they are being used for F1 production.

At the Sealy sale a couple of weeks ago, open heifers were bringing $1750. (non registered)

Anonymous":qn6ajdya said:
Thurs. in Alabama they went for $.60 lbs.

What was the quality?
How heavy were they and what was the condition.?
What was the age on these heifers?
How many of these heifers sold for this price?

Why are you bothering with 'Guest' just another troublemaker.

la4angus":5p34xqsz said:
Anonymous":5p34xqsz said:
Thurs. in Alabama they went for $.60 lbs.

What was the quality?
How heavy were they and what was the condition.?
What was the age on these heifers?
How many of these heifers sold for this price?

TheBullLady":2xdtw3a9 said:

I seldom dispute someone, but I'd have to see it to believe it. You can buy good black first calf pairs for $1400- why would anyone pay $1750 for an eared open heifer. Show me the money!!!

ABBA NATIONAL F1 AND TBA BRAHMAN FEMALE SALE
April 17 • Sealy, TX
Auctioneer: Mark Switzer
Sale Manager: Port City Stockyards
Sealy, Texas A capacity crowd in the large amphitheater of Port City Stockyards' Sealy Livestock Auction paid record high prices for the consignments to the 17th Annual ABBA National F1 and TBA sponsored Registered Brahman Female Sale on Saturday, April 17th. The overall sale average of $1363.84 that consisted of 47.5% open females was the record high average in the 17 year history of the sale. Champion F1 females were named in three divisions as Glenn Brandt of Bellville and Arnold Saunders of Devine judged the high-quality set of females.
Paul Dufrene's Triple Son Farms of Cut Off, LA consigned the champion pen of F1 pairs; this offering of five ABBA Golden Certified F1 Brahman X Angus pairs were purchased by Dornak's Misty Creek Ranch of Shiner, TX for $2400. Micky Exner's Lazy E Ranch of Lexington, TX consigned the Champion pen of F1 Bred Females; this pen of Golden Certified F1 Brahman X Hereford sold to Mike Rutherford of Houston and Pearsall for $2000. Topping the open F1 heifer division was a pen of five ABBA Golden Certified F1 Hereford X Brahman heifers from Tom Quarrels' Rolling Oaks Ranch that were also purchased by Mike Rutherford for $1750.
The F1 pairs sold for an average of $1,592; the F1 bred females that included, one half short bred, fall calving, females averaged $1236 while the open F1 females, that accounted for 47% of the offering, averaged $1118.
Volume buyers for the day included Mike G. Rutherford of Houston and Pearsall; Pat Rutherford Ranch of Pearsall; Doug Beatty of Canton; J.M. Cattle Co. of Gause; Randy Johnson of Dallas; and Dornak's Misty Creek Ranch of Shiner.
Competition among buyers for the Registered Brahman females was keen as this portion of the sale sold for an average of $1605 while including 67 percent open ready to breed heifers.
The top selling Registered Brahman females was a pen of four registered, ready to breed, spring two year old heifers consigned by Arnold Saunders' Bar W Ranch that sold to R.G. McCandless of Houston for $2600. The top selling pair was consigned by Alford Cattle Co. of Caldwell that brought $1900 and sold to Bill Hunt of Ganado. The top selling pen of bred Brahman females was consigned by Wes Watson's L6 Ranch that sold to Bobby Way of Stowell for $1900.
The Brahman pairs averaged $1532, the Brahman breds averaged $1482 while the open, mostly ready to breed, Brahmans averaged $1648. The volume buyers among the Brahman females were Old South Plantation of Richmond, TX; Bobby Way of Stowell, Bill Hunt of Ganado; Diamond H Ranch of Brenham and R.G. McCandless of Houston.

:roll:
http://www.weeklylivestock.com/reports.shtml

••••••••••••

Oldtimer":1ny7degr said:
TheBullLady":1ny7degr said:

I seldom dispute someone, but I'd have to see it to believe it. You can buy good black first calf pairs for $1400- why would anyone pay $1750 for an eared open heifer. Show me the money!!!

Well I tried to buy a Grey Brahman heifer from a local Brahman breeder and he told me that he didnt sell his female Brahmans. Then again I saw an ad for "grey humpy" heifers in the market bulliten for Longhorn prices.

You have to look at
QUALITY!!!!!!!!!
QUALITY!!!!!!!!!
QUALITY!!!!!!!!!
Some in the Northwest will think that there is no Good Brahmans.
Some in the Deep South will think there are no Good Angus and Herefords, except for Campground and myself.

Actually I think the best cattle for this is Area is the Super Baldies and the Angus Plus.

Note I said This Area, which is South Texas, east to the Atlantic Ocean.

la4angus":238qgnzw said:
You have to look at
QUALITY!!!!!!!!!
QUALITY!!!!!!!!!
QUALITY!!!!!!!!!
Some in the Northwest will think that there is no Good Brahmans.
Some in the Deep South will think there are no Good Angus and Herefords, except for Campground and myself.

Actually I think the best cattle for this is Area is the Super Baldies and the Angus Plus.

Note I said This Area, which is South Texas, east to the Atlantic Ocean.

Concur Super Baldies are hard to beat

I agree with Loyd's observation: it's all about QUALITY --- and LOCATION. The national ABBA F-1 sale in Sealy, Tx. doesn't have any "junk" cattle selling. Also, IMHO, I think Mark Switzer gets more for cattle than most other auctioneers. I've often thought that if I was a seller I'd like to have him be the auctioneer, but I'd rather buy when somebody else does the calling!

Shiner Bock --- if you want to raise tigerstripes for replacements, your best (most economical ) bet may be to get some high quality Hereford cows and then breed them to top Brahman bulls. The really good Brahman females go to purebred operations and are probably a little (or a lot) too pricey to be used for just "manufacturing" tigerstripes. That was the cousel I was offered some time ago by a member of the family that is active in one of the top Brahman ranches here in Texas (the J. D. Hudgins ranch in Hunderford, Tx.). I don't know about S. Carolina but I think that, at least in south Texas, you can usually buy quality Hereford cows for a good bit cheaper than you can buy quality Brahman cows.

I can get Polled Hereford cows and heifers for a fair price, but I do not want to have a herd of pinkeye prone Hereford females. I prefer Hereford bulls over any other breed. I might just see how my Longhorn/Angus cows and Longhorn/Hereford cows peform when crossed back with another Angus or Hereford.

Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":1pe2298a said:
Well I tried to buy a Grey Brahman heifer from a local Brahman breeder and he told me that he didnt sell his female Brahmans. Then again I saw an ad for "grey humpy" heifers in the market bulliten for Longhorn prices.
You normally get what you pay for.

Arnold, the price of quality Brahman females is not always prohibitive. Factoring in what the Brahman female brings to the equasion, longivity, heavy milk production, almost complete lack of calving difficulty, forgaging ability, heat and insect resistance, etc.

Arnold Ziffle":3oyk0qi1 said:
I agree with Loyd's observation: it's all about QUALITY --- and LOCATION. The national ABBA F-1 sale in Sealy, Tx. doesn't have any "junk" cattle selling. Also, IMHO, I think Mark Switzer gets more for cattle than most other auctioneers. I've often thought that if I was a seller I'd like to have him be the auctioneer, but I'd rather buy when somebody else does the calling!

Shiner Bock --- if you want to raise tigerstripes for replacements, your best (most economical ) bet may be to get some high quality Hereford cows and then breed them to top Brahman bulls. The really good Brahman females go to purebred operations and are probably a little (or a lot) too pricey to be used for just "manufacturing" tigerstripes. That was the cousel I was offered some time ago by a member of the family that is active in one of the top Brahman ranches here in Texas (the J. D. Hudgins ranch in Hunderford, Tx.). I don't know about S. Carolina but I think that, at least in south Texas, you can usually buy quality Hereford cows for a good bit cheaper than you can buy quality Brahman cows.

Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":3ej27sh2 said:
I can get Polled Hereford cows and heifers for a fair price, but I do not want to have a herd of pinkeye prone Hereford females. I prefer Hereford bulls over any other breed. I might just see how my Longhorn/Angus cows and Longhorn/Hereford cows peform when crossed back with another Angus or Hereford.

It's amazing to me people talk about pink eye which all cattle can get. Again I'm amazed I have never had a case, my Herefords must be immune, it's like the people always bashing Angus or Brahmans. There are a few essential breeds. The modern American cattle industry was built on Brahmans Angus and Herefords.

There are a few essential breeds. The modern American cattle industry was built on Brahmans Angus and Herefords.[/quote] I agree with the above quote 99% Campground. I am a firm believer in the superiority of the Angus/Hereford cross, but I also believe that a little "tough cow" blood like Brahman or Longhorn needs to be in there to make the momma cows better suited for the heat and humidity of South Carolina (and the rest of the South).

Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":1hdwyl05 said:
There are a few essential breeds. The modern American cattle industry was built on Brahmans Angus and Herefords.
I agree with the above quote 99% Campground. I am a firm believer in the superiority of the Angus/Hereford cross, but I also believe that a little "tough cow" blood like Brahman or Longhorn needs to be in there to make the momma cows better suited for the heat and humidity of South Carolina (and the rest of the South).[/quote]

Copenhagen

Read the post again:

Campground clearly stated that the Modern American cattle industry was built on

BRAHMAN'S, Angus and Herefords.

If you're getting a bunch of pinkeye prone Herefords either there is a managment problem or the Hereford genetics are at fault. With eye pigmentation they're no more prone to pinkeye then any other breed.

dun

Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":2da9phqf said:

Latest posts