brahman heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahman femaled typically make better mammas then Herfords. Purebred Brahman are expensive if you go to special replacement sales but you can generally get then for a reasonable price if you go to one of the lesser known Brahman breeders. While V8 and JD Huddgins have excellent females, most of the time you are paying for the brand. There are a bunch of other breeders out there that like to sell to the commercial man. If you want to buy them really cheap you can go to the auction barn but you won't get the papers. They get docked real hard at the auction for having too much ear. Buyer beware, you never know what your getting at the auction.

You'll get no argument from me on that Cherokeeruby --- nor was I trying to contradict what BullLady wrote earlier. And no doubt much of what txshowmom says is true also. That's why I used the words "may be" in my comments to ShinerBock.

My own sniffing around into the possibility of getting into the business of raising tigers for sale as bred heifers initially lead me to Hudgins and V8 since they are so geographically close to my place, have noteworthy reputations and I was fairly well acquainted with one of the Forgason men that is active in the Hudgins business. The prices for their females were, at least in my view, a bit too high to use for my intended purpose but I'm sure many others would feel differently, and I don't doubt that there are quality Brahmans available from other breeders at lower prices. I ultimately just decided to keep on breeding black bulls to my smallish herd of Beefmaster and tigerstripe cows.

ShinerBock --- I know you're in S. Carolina, but if for whatever reason you can't find the quality you want closer to home and ever feel like making a LONG road trip, keep in mind that in March and November each year there are some nice, reasonably priced tigers offered for sale in Industry, Texas (not terribly far from the Houston area). Usually these are first and second calvers and are almost always bred to black bulls

I have often thought about going to Texas and have wondered about the cost of shipping them back this far east. I dont know, I'm starting small and adding on about one heifer a year until all of my clearcut land is in pasture.Beefmaster heifers are plentiful here, but still high at $1000 a yearling. They are often more expensive than Beefmaster bulls the same age and size.

Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":36hxqvce said:
I have often thought about going to Texas and have wondered about the cost of shipping them back this far east. I dont know, I'm starting small and adding on about one heifer a year until all of my clearcut land is in pasture.Beefmaster heifers are plentiful here, but still high at $1000 a yearling. They are often more expensive than Beefmaster bulls the same age and size.
Copenhagen
Don't forget that cattle are selling at ALL TIME RECORD HIGH PRICES.
Don't expect to buy cattle for prices that they were a few years or even a few months ago.

Latest posts