Brahman heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Got a good deal on dog gentle Brahman heifer bought her for my daughter so she can raise her and grow up with her. Let every calf she has and sells let her keep the money. I really like her disposition. I showed my daughter her last night she said my cow. She was happy.

Bigfoot said:
looks good in the picture. Nice herd builder there.

Yeah culled a few older cows trying to get younger as well don't mind get some more heifers like her . 9 months old she will be with me for a long time

Once yall get her settled in and she knows where the feed comes from start working on moving her. Walk her around the pens, thru the chute, etc. Make sure you can get behind her and move her with out here turning around and squaring up to her. Bring another really gentle cow that you can push to help if need be.

Brute 23 said:
Once yall get her settled in and she knows where the feed comes from start working on moving her. Walk her around the pens, thru the chute, etc. Make sure you can get behind her and move her with out here turning around and squaring up to her. Bring another really gentle cow that you can push to help if need be.

Will do I fed her this morning before work I just had her penned until she gets used to the place let her out tomorrow.

I made s total pest out of one with horse and cattle feed.
Kept her in the pen for a couple of weeks, about the third day she was waiting on me to get there.

Caustic Burno said:
I made s total pest out of one with horse and cattle feed.
Kept her in the pen for a couple of weeks, about the third day she was waiting on me to get there.

Yeah I'm hoping I can get her just like that time and patience.

Bfields30 said:
Brute 23 said:

Will do I fed her this morning before work I just had her penned until she gets used to the place let her out tomorrow.

Dont hesitate to keep her a week or two like CB is saying. Make sure you walk out there with the whole family, dog, kids mini bike, etc and feed her. Then turn her out, feed her in pens, then make her walk out the chute back to the pasture.

I keep my heifers in a pen a minimum of 30 days, have gone 60-90 with stuff I bought to be sure they could be handled. At random I go feed them and close the gate on them, then go back the next day, feed them again, and open the gate back up.

They need lots of exposeure to different things... like a pup or young horse.

Brute 23 said:
Bfields30 said:
Brute 23 said:

Dont hesitate to keep her a week or two like CB is saying. Make sure you walk out there with the whole family, dog, kids mini bike, etc and feed her. Then turn her out, feed her in pens, then make her walk out the chute back to the pasture.

I keep my heifers in a pen a minimum of 30 days, have gone 60-90 with stuff I bought to be sure they could be handled. At random I go feed them and close the gate on them, then go back the next day, feed them again, and open the gate back up.

They need lots of exposeure to different things... like a pup or young horse.

Thanks for the advice brute will do that for sure.?" Sitting out there when i feed her everyday and interacting with her is what I been doing past few days

My daughter (17) got a registered red poll heifer Sunday Thanksgiving weekend. March 5th birthday weighing about 700. We put her in a 15x15 pen. After 3 days, we let her out with our other show calves with a halter on. My daughter had her halter broke and tame in only 3 days. That speaks highly to the disposition of Red Polls but also to her skill with cattle. It helps that the heifer is VERY food motivated. Hand feeding cattle cubes can earn a cows trust shockingly fast.

Our Red Polls were very good dispositioned as a whole. But they weren't raised with grain and most would only give it a passing taste. They loved the alfalfa hay... I'd feed a section or two to a couple so they would clean it up. Their calves would come in for grain through the creep gate, but they were not grain hogs like some of the others. They were GREAT graziers though; even in the heat they would be out there when the black cattle were loafing.

My red polls are up and down with grain, they are excellent at foraging as stated. The good temperament red polls are as good as any cattle going to handle but i have had a few i have had to cull on temperament also. There was a really nice bull that was paddock raised. They decided when he was 2 they wanted to show him, third time on halter was at the show and he walked around like a kitten. But same breeder had a different bull flatten a guy a different year and they had to sedate the bull the rest of the show.

We did have one red poll, out of the original group that was bought, that would "GET YOU" when she was first fresh. They are not all perfect. BUT on the whole, they tend to be pretty good dispositioned overall.

farmerjan said:
We did have one red poll, out of the original group that was bought, that would "GET YOU" when she was first fresh. They are not all perfect. BUT on the whole, they tend to be pretty good dispositioned overall.

I agree, the U.S. semen i have used produced my quietest cow i have ever had. But i think here they may have pushed things a bit for growth rates and ignored temperament. The old red poll semen i have produces animals that have the quiet temperament the red polls are renound for.

Latest posts